Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Hops Growing > What is wrong with these hop plants?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-18-2009, 05:18 PM   #1
DeadDoc
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default What is wrong with these hop plants?

Just took these pictures today and cant 100% identify what the problem is.

THis is on more than just my hop plants... also have some on my tomatoes

Anyone know exactly what these are?

Insert Name Here Brew Club

Black Forest Brewery
My Keezer

Primary: Amarillo/Citra IRIPA
Secondary: - - -
Aging: - - -
Drinking: Witbier | 342 IPA | Hoppy Stout
Recently Kicked: Belgian Dark Strong Ale

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-18-2009, 05:23 PM   #2
Arneba28

Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 6

The splotches on the leaves looks like over watering. The holes are bugs. That white on the bine could either be mold or bug larvae but the picture is fuzzy.

Old 06-18-2009, 05:26 PM   #3
DeadDoc
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arneba28 View Post
The splotches on the leaves looks like over watering. The holes are bugs. That white on the bine could either be mold or bug larvae but the picture is fuzzy.
heh yes stupid camera phone!

Hmm and the funny thing is i didnt start watering till awhile after those poped up.

THANKS! THat is what I was thinking about the water.. just didnt have a clear picture from where i was looking at to make sure.

Insert Name Here Brew Club

Black Forest Brewery
My Keezer

Primary: Amarillo/Citra IRIPA
Secondary: - - -
Aging: - - -
Drinking: Witbier | 342 IPA | Hoppy Stout
Recently Kicked: Belgian Dark Strong Ale

Old 06-18-2009, 06:40 PM   #4
anderj

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

does the white stuff rub off easily?

Old 06-18-2009, 06:50 PM   #5
WortMonger
United States Mashtronaut
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by anderj View Post
does the white stuff rub off easily?
True, if so could be a mildew or mold infection in your growing area. You would need to do a foliage spray to get it under control. I hear beer in a garden sprayer with a little bit of bleach water is a good thing.

"It's like a 15.5 gallon Mr. Beer!"

Old 06-18-2009, 09:08 PM   #6
gratus fermentatio
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 984 Times on 643 Posts
Likes Given: 2752

The 1st pic looks kind of like sunflower or pine pollen has fallen on the leaves, as it seems to be concentrated near the veins/creases in the leaf. The 2nd pic is clearer & shows the yellow to be mostly absent from the veins; this says "iron deficiency" (chlorosis) to me, though it could certainly be something else. You can cure chlorosis by applying Ironite, or for fast results, use a foliar application of liquid iron chelate, both are safe for use on plants for human consumption.

Pic #3 is hard to tell as it's pretty blurry, but if the white stuff is kind of dry & powdery, it may be powdery mildew, though powdery mildew usually appears on the leaves. It may also be mealy bugs. If it's wet & foamy it may be spittle bugs. Powdery mildew is controlled with oil or fungicide, spittle bugs & mealy bugs with insecticide or perhaps some type of organic controls. Give your county extension agent a call he/she should be able to tell you exactly what those problems are & will do so for free, though for best results you should take samples to the extension agent for identification. Good luck, GF.

EDIT: The yellowing could also be a nitrogen deficiency, either way I'd hit it with some fert & iron. There are a few types of aphids that look white & fuzzy like that. Get out your magnifying glass & have a close look. If it is a mass of individual bugs, and if they're furry looking, it's likely some type of aphid. Malathion works on them, but if you want to avoid using chemicals you can get a bucket of ladybugs to release on the plants & around the yard/garden here: http://www.arbico-organics.com/organ...organisms.html

Old 06-19-2009, 01:33 AM   #7
WortMonger

Recipes 

Gratus fermentatio, is iron chelate safe for fish? Can certified organic growers use it? Just curious for my project.

Old 06-21-2009, 02:59 AM   #8
gratus fermentatio
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 984 Times on 643 Posts
Likes Given: 2752

Quote:
Originally Posted by WortMonger View Post
Gratus fermentatio, is iron chelate safe for fish? Can certified organic growers use it? Just curious for my project.
I'd certainly be hesitant to use it too near an aquarium or koi pond; but in all honesty I'm not sure at what concentration any runoff would effect fish. I've never used it near a body of water. If you're talking small scale use (a few plants) you might try using a hand held spray bottle to mist the leaves in a foliar application, or even use a sponge dipped into the solution & wipe it onto the leaves, this would allow you to tightly control any overspray & avoid any significant runoff.

For larger applications, I think your best bet would be to shoot an email to these folks: GrowOrganic: Fertall Liquid Iron Chelate (Gallon) and consult with your county extension agent to be certain. Best to err on the side of caution I think. Hope some of this info helps. Regards, GF.

EDIT: I just did a little searching & found that there doesn't seem to be much scientific info on the effects of iron chelate on fish, not even from safety data sheets. Sorry I wasn't more helpful. Regards, GF.

Old 06-21-2009, 05:47 AM   #9
Synovia
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

chelated iron is dosed in a lot of planted fish tanks, I have no idea what sort of dose though. Check theplantedtank.net. I'm sure you can find something.

Old 06-21-2009, 07:07 PM   #10
WortMonger

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gratus fermentatio View Post
I'd certainly be hesitant to use it too near an aquarium or koi pond; but in all honesty I'm not sure at what concentration any runoff would effect fish. I've never used it near a body of water. If you're talking small scale use (a few plants) you might try using a hand held spray bottle to mist the leaves in a foliar application, or even use a sponge dipped into the solution & wipe it onto the leaves, this would allow you to tightly control any overspray & avoid any significant runoff.

For larger applications, I think your best bet would be to shoot an email to these folks: GrowOrganic: Fertall Liquid Iron Chelate (Gallon) and consult with your county extension agent to be certain. Best to err on the side of caution I think. Hope some of this info helps. Regards, GF.

EDIT: I just did a little searching & found that there doesn't seem to be much scientific info on the effects of iron chelate on fish, not even from safety data sheets. Sorry I wasn't more helpful. Regards, GF.
You were incredibly helpful, and thank you very much. I will look into the foliar spray application.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synovia
chelated iron is dosed in a lot of planted fish tanks, I have no idea what sort of dose though. Check theplantedtank.net. I'm sure you can find something.
Thank you as well, very helpful the both of you.

Quick Reply