Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Hops Growing > What is wrong with the leaf and should I be worried?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-12-2013, 02:27 AM   #11
cram
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 1

wfowlks...your comment about all the rain made me think that one more thing to rule out is whether or not your pot is draining well. I couldn't tell from your comments if the hops are growing in a pot or not but, if they are, double check that water runs out the bottom after watering. A water-logged plant is no good.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-12-2013, 02:44 AM   #12
AlCophile
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 23 Posts

w:
The most common mistreatment is overwatering, but, I myself have been guilty of another mistreatment: the wrong pH. You should have pH paper on hand whenever you grow, and especially when container-growing. It seems to be a product of the decomposition of the organic materials in the potting soil, and it builds up over time. When you prep the soil, put in some (how much?) limestone and mix well. NOT lime, no matter what the clerk says. LimeSTONE!!! Since they're already planted, you might check pH, and if acidic, try to mix limestone in a few places where you don't see any roots.

Old 05-12-2013, 04:59 PM   #13
wfowlks
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by cram View Post
wfowlks...your comment about all the rain made me think that one more thing to rule out is whether or not your pot is draining well. I couldn't tell from your comments if the hops are growing in a pot or not but, if they are, double check that water runs out the bottom after watering. A water-logged plant is no good.
The pots are draining correctly, In the bottom of the pot I drilled about 12x 1/2" holes. In the bottom I put those drainage rocks that you can get at lowes for like 2$, and then I put in some larger flat rocks from my yard to help stop the dirt from filling up the drainage holes. I think that should be enough to ensure proper drainage?

I know a lot of instructions say they like sandy soil, maybe I didn't put enough sand in the soil?

AlCophile: I'll probably pick up some pH strips on my way home tomorrow. Wont bone meal or blood meal that sits on top of the soil help in that regard as well or does that make the soil more acidic?

Old 05-13-2013, 12:11 AM   #14
wfowlks
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

So here is what I did:
I put some Miracle grow on them, just a little bit, and then the storm hit, and had heavy downfall. The leaves that were yellow had the yellow parts ripped off by the rain. And I also have some ripped leaves on the cascade now but I will just chalk that up to nature abuse.
Centennial: (The ones that had the yellowing and holes)
20130512_155457.jpg
20130512_155518.jpg

Cascade:
20130512_155539.jpg
20130512_155556.jpg

After reading everyone's post and doing a little research following the leads, I think that the heavy rain might have helped to lower the pH of the soil since rain is typically known as "acid rain". I am just going to water about 1/4 gallon per day per plant, does that seem reasonable or is that to much to little? The soil always seems to be damp since there is the organic matter on top that has wood in it, but its hard to tell down in the pot how it is. I also treated the plants with neem oil, just to cover that base as well.

Hopefully it gets better and the rips stop and we can just write that off as a young plant in harsh rain/wind

Old 05-14-2013, 12:35 AM   #15
hawgwild81
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 15 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 302 Times on 209 Posts
Likes Given: 189

So I started following this thread because I was having the same problem with my centennial's. I fed them some miracle grow Saturday and when I checked them today I noticed the tips of the bines were yellow now, they weren't before, and on two of the bines the tip is gone. Will the bines continue to grow without the tip? This is only my second year growing them so I'm not sure what to expect out if the hops. Thanks in advance!

image-754418017.jpg   image-729606636.jpg  

Old 05-14-2013, 03:44 AM   #16
cram
Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 1

hawgwild81...generally a broken tip will result in two new bines growing from the next complete leaf node beneath the tip. I doubt it's related to the application of miracle grow, more likely a pest as they tend to love the tender new growth the most. As tempting as it is to let both bines grow from the leaf node, I have found that better yields result from pinching off the seemingly weaker side (one side tends to grow a tad longer, faster) after they get 4-6" or so.

As for the increased yellowing, it looks like you *might* have over done the miracle grow. Less is often more, so to speak, with synthetic ferts in particular, especially early in the growing season. Hops are hearty suckers and the problems should self-correct if given some time. Note that the "lower number" organic ferts (for example, 4-4-4) tend to be harder to screw up. They may not make as much sen$e for the commercial guys but for the hobbiest, home grower, it's often a good choice. Synthetic inputs certainly have their place, especially for commercial or container applications, but they require more careful application. This time of the year, while the plants are in the vertical growth, vegetation state (meaning, not flowering) higher nitrogen inputs are the most valuable contributions you can make. Still, a balanced organic fert like the 4-4-4 is also a good choice and miracle grow can be fine if you follow the directions closely and, arguably, use less than the recommended dosing, especially when the plants are little ones.

wfowlks...the plants already look better to me. I think you'll find things will work out just fine. Don't baby them too much; it's often better to let the plants partially dry out before watering again. Making the roots have to search a bit for water will force them to head down and make the plant more resilient in the end.

Old 05-19-2013, 03:27 AM   #17
wfowlks
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

So an update: The upper leaves are looking better, and I think I found the 4 good shoots from the 2 Rhizomes, from which I will prune the others. But the lower leaves still appear to be eaten, but the upper ones have been saved I think by the neem oil because I found some evidence of bite marks on the leaves, which I will post tomorrow, (Just got a new phone and its to dark to take pix).

20130516_180610.jpg

20130516_180644.jpg

http://www.fowlksbrewery.blogspot.com/ - My blog of my journey through brewing

My Keezer Build - The Taller Collar
My Fermentation Chamber Build
My Hop Growing Adventures while renting a Duplex

Old 05-19-2013, 03:43 AM   #18
wfowlks
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Hawg did the miracle gro hit the leaves, I just try to water the base, because you look like you have some well colored leaves, and the phosphorous may burn the leaves if applied in the middle of the day or in the sun

Old 05-19-2013, 05:37 AM   #19
hawgwild81
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 15 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 302 Times on 209 Posts
Likes Given: 189

Quote:
Originally Posted by wfowlks
Hawg did the miracle gro hit the leaves, I just try to water the base, because you look like you have some well colored leaves, and the phosphorous may burn the leaves if applied in the middle of the day or in the sun
No. The miracle gro didn't touch anything except the base. All my discoloration is taking place at the top of the bines. The tips are turning yellow and falling off. I'm getting a ton of off shoots around the base. Not sure if that's normal, as this is only the second year I've attempted to grow.

Old 05-21-2013, 04:17 AM   #20
wfowlks
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Hrm, well I am at a loss then, have you sprayed them with neem oil to rule out a pest? It's been a while now too so have the new vines sprouted from the dead head

Quick Reply