Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Hops Growing > What will happen if I harvest now?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-31-2010, 02:56 AM   #1
t-bag
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default What will happen if I harvest now?

I have a second year Centennial that is about 10' tall right now and it already has burrs. I'm guessing I'll have cones in a month. If I harvest then, will i get a second crop of cones in August/ September like normal? I am expecting my hops aren't done growing and they'll reach the top of my 22 1/2 ft. trellis by August. Is it normal for there to be burrs already? Some experienced advice would be nice.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-31-2010, 03:11 AM   #2
discgolfin
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Thats normal. I have burrs on mine....and if you allow new shoots to climb your current vines than you can harvest in July and again in September.

Primary: DFH 60 IPA
Secondaty: Blond Ale, Apfelwine, Crandaddy mead
Bottle: Blue moon clone,Kolsch, Eds House Ale, Barley wine, Stone IPA, Oatmeal stout, Hefe,

Drinking: 60 minute IPA, Honkers Ale, Wheat, cherry wheat, Appfelwine,

On Deck: Imperial Stout,

Old 05-31-2010, 03:16 AM   #3
t-bag
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by discgolfin View Post
Thats normal. I have burrs on mine....and if you allow new shoots to climb your current vines than you can harvest in July and again in September.
So I can harvest these cones in July and the younger bines will grow up over the first bines and produce a second harvest in September? I heard that if I leave the cones they'll just get bigger.... or will they dry out before September?

Old 05-31-2010, 07:04 PM   #4
JarrodH
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by t-bag View Post
So I can harvest these cones in July and the younger bines will grow up over the first bines and produce a second harvest in September? I heard that if I leave the cones they'll just get bigger.... or will they dry out before September?
In my experience, the hop cones dry out and get brown if they are left too long on the vine. I usually get a small harvest from my Tet early and then a larger one later on.

Old 05-31-2010, 08:12 PM   #5
GVH_Dan
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 158 Times on 112 Posts
Likes Given: 19

When cones are mature, pick them. They don't grow bigger. Don't think of them as a vegetable, rather as a flower. When it blooms, that is it for that flower.

Quick Reply