Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Hops Growing > what variety of hops to grow

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-17-2013, 04:03 PM   #1
jeffersonjames
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default what variety of hops to grow

I am looking to plant some hops this years and I am looking for in put on what kinds to get. I am new to brewing so my knowledge is limited on hops as I have not used many. I have noticed that many recipies call for cascade so I plan on planting more of that kind. I only plan to grow what I would need for my own brew so variety is more important than quantity. I have an acre so I imagine I could plant a good amount. Thanks

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-17-2013, 04:58 PM   #2
ArrowheadHops
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 42

Grow what your recipes need or styles you like especially for aroma and start with a few plants.

Old 01-17-2013, 05:07 PM   #3
TyTanium
Recipes 

Liked 549 Times on 387 Posts
Likes Given: 418

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffersonjames View Post
I am looking to plant some hops this years and I am looking for in put on what kinds to get. I am new to brewing so my knowledge is limited on hops as I have not used many. I have noticed that many recipies call for cascade so I plan on planting more of that kind. I only plan to grow what I would need for my own brew so variety is more important than quantity. I have an acre so I imagine I could plant a good amount. Thanks
Where are you? Grow hops that do well in your area, then learn how to brew beers to use them.

Old 01-17-2013, 05:10 PM   #4
jeffersonjames
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TyTanium View Post

Where are you? Grow hops that do well in your area, then learn how to brew beers to use them.
I live in upstate ny...from what I have read hops grow pretty well here. I did not really think about what types would grow better here. I will start with that to wittle the down.

Old 01-17-2013, 05:18 PM   #5
TyTanium
Recipes 

Liked 549 Times on 387 Posts
Likes Given: 418

Cool, well that's a good spot to start.

Generally the C hops grow well in most areas (Cascade, Centennial, Chinook, Columbus). The noble varieties tend to be a bit more fickle and do better at more northern latitudes - not sure how your area is for them.

Old 01-17-2013, 05:26 PM   #6
reelmower
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 8

I was thinking about growing some hops ... too. I recently saw where More Beer is pre-selling rhizomes for this growing season. I live in Fort Mil, SC ... so I did a couple of Google searches .. and found a NC State University .. hop growing study. Raleigh, NC .. is several hundred miles from me .. but does have much the same climate as where I live. It looks like the only variety that produced for them .. was Cascade. I'm not sure how many seasons it took to get a substantial yield .. for homebrewing? I'm pretty sure it wasn't the first growing season. Looking at NC State .. charts and graphs ... the other varieties didn't do very well. I would look at it as a project .. that might not work out. If if did .. you could store hops in the freezer .. for when you needed them. I felt like ... I might get a couple of Cascade rhizomes .. and give it a try .. but would probably still be buying my hops from my ingredient supplier. I thought I might have some usable hops .. maybe the second year. I sort of put this project .. on the back burner. I would do some research first ... on what might grow in my area ... before I bought anything. More Beer .. says .. most of the varieties will grow in my area ... but the NC State study .. says otherwise. NC State is also .. not trying to sell hop rhizomes.

Old 01-17-2013, 05:44 PM   #7
jeffersonjames
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by reelmower View Post
I was thinking about growing some hops ... too. I recently saw where More Beer is pre-selling rhizomes for this growing season. I live in Fort Mil, SC ... so I did a couple of Google searches .. and found a NC State University .. hop growing study. Raleigh, NC .. is several hundred miles from me .. but does have much the same climate as where I live. It looks like the only variety that produced for them .. was Cascade. I'm not sure how many seasons it took to get a substantial yield .. for homebrewing? I'm pretty sure it wasn't the first growing season. Looking at NC State .. charts and graphs ... the other varieties didn't do very well. I would look at it as a project .. that might not work out. If if did .. you could store hops in the freezer .. for when you needed them. I felt like ... I might get a couple of Cascade rhizomes .. and give it a try .. but would probably still be buying my hops from my ingredient supplier. I thought I might have some usable hops .. maybe the second year. I sort of put this project .. on the back burner. I would do some research first ... on what might grow in my area ... before I bought anything. More Beer .. says .. most of the varieties will grow in my area ... but the NC State study .. says otherwise. NC State is also .. not trying to sell hop rhizomes.
I will have to see if there has been studies for my area. As far as yields go im looking more for the year after as I plan to go all grain at that point. The fall of 14 will bring me to 3 years as a brewer and hopefully more experience.

Old 01-17-2013, 05:55 PM   #8
bchurch
Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 29 Posts

Cascade is a safe bet. I am in eastern pa and those took off this year. The hallertau on the other hand got about a half ounce. Centennial is the other one I planted, it did ok but this is only the second year on all of them and I planted really late their first year.

Old 01-17-2013, 06:16 PM   #9
rjd
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 9

I've grown them for a few years and am not a green thumb type.
I'm in TN and my Goldings did not enjoy the heat of summer
The Aphids love my Cascades as much as I do! and they grow 20+' !

I would think most varieties would do well in your area, but
I'm not an expert (mulch them well for wintering)

Although it would depend on what types of beer you like, the "C's" are always handy. (Cascades, Crystal) etc. and maybe Fuggles & Willamette for all that Ales you

I don't have a good way to assay their bitterness so I use mine for finishing/flavor/aroma only. I buy hops for bittering purposes, Lagers & specialties.

Good Luck!

Old 01-18-2013, 02:46 AM   #10
IanJ
youtube.com/brewfiles
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 88

Hopefully I'll be experimenting in Brooklyn, currently looking for a community garden in my area to get started.

If anything works out, I'll be sure to write about it for those interested in the NYC region, in a less than optimal location.

Edit: Thinking of starting with Willamette and Cascade.

Quick Reply