Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Hops Growing > What is this plant? hops maybe?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-13-2012, 12:38 AM   #1
blacksailj
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default What is this plant? hops maybe?

I was walking in the woods and came across these bines that look exactly like hops. The leaf structure, the sticky/prickly like stem, color, all look the same as my hops growing at home. I checked the bine where the cones would be and saw a small seed pod (shown in picture) that crumbles when you touch it. Not a single cone on the plant throughout my 2 mile hike. Does anyone have an idea what type of plant this would be? At first I got my hopes up because it covers about 1 square mile but after looking closely I don't think they are hops of any variety or even a male plant. I just don't know. Thanks folks.

forumrunner_20120812_202833.jpg

forumrunner_20120812_202756.jpg

forumrunner_20120812_202641.jpg

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-13-2012, 04:22 AM   #2
MrOH
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Where are you from? I saw a bunch of similar plants today in Wissahickon Park in Philadelphia today and was thinking the same thing.

Peace and bacon grease

Old 08-13-2012, 11:10 AM   #3
compact007
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

looks to me like Japanese Hops, Unfortunatley they can not be used in beer making

2 gallons of Wild hop IPA fermenting.... that is all

Old 08-13-2012, 12:28 PM   #4
blacksailj
Recipes 

I live in West Deptford NJ, but these where in the town of National Park NJ along the river. There is a place called the Dredge that is about 1 square mile shaped live a bowl that government puts the dirt when they dredge the river for the oil ships each year. It turns into a marsh land for wildlife and these plants are all through out it. I'll look into the Japanese hops. It's ashame you can't use them, that would have been a great find. Thanks

Old 08-13-2012, 04:51 PM   #5
blacksailj
Recipes 

Yup that's what it looks like, Japanese Hops. Man what a tease.Endless field of uselessness.

Quick Reply