The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Hops Growing > What kind of hops are these?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-14-2012, 11:49 PM   #1
epistrummer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default What kind of hops are these?

I was offered a bunch of hops from a guy who has a bunch of them growing in his garden but he doesn't know what type they are. How can I find out what kind they are?

Overdo everything.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-15-2012, 12:25 AM   #2
B-Hoppy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 122 Times on 97 Posts
Likes Given: 211

If you have no other fresh hops to compare them with it's probably gonna be kind of difficult. Make sure they're ripe then take a few and crush, rub and sniff to get an idea of the aroma. Again, without other fresh hops to compare against it's tuff as a fresh cone will smell a little different than it's dried counterpart that you may have in the freezer. You could also take a look at the overall cone structure, sidearm length and general vigor to help narrow it down a little but it's gonna be tough. When all else fails you can always have another beer.

Old 07-17-2012, 08:07 PM   #3
BRONCOBREW
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-Hoppy View Post
If you have no other fresh hops to compare them with it's probably gonna be kind of difficult. Make sure they're ripe then take a few and crush, rub and sniff to get an idea of the aroma. Again, without other fresh hops to compare against it's tuff as a fresh cone will smell a little different than it's dried counterpart that you may have in the freezer. You could also take a look at the overall cone structure, sidearm length and general vigor to help narrow it down a little but it's gonna be tough. When all else fails you can always have another beer.
The only sure way is to send it to Hop Union to be analyzed.
I can not tell the difference between Chinook and Cascades by the smell test or the difference between Tettnanger and Fuggles.

Better to buy some rhizomes, then you will know for sure...

Home Brewing.....More Than a Hobby!
It is an Evolution!!!

Old 07-17-2012, 08:17 PM   #4
KISS Brew
Recipes 

Liked 49 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 11

I would probably just use these as an aroma addition (even dry hopping) for any beer that would benefit from their scent. Take a huge whiff and use your best judgment.

As far as which variety, you will probably never know. Use them anyway!

Bottled:
Hoptoberfest IPA, Oktoberfest Ale, Blonde Ale, Scottish Ale, Oatmeal Stout, Edwort's Apfelwein, Janet's Brown Ale, Irish Red Ale, Strawberry Wheat, ESB, Belgian Pale Ale

KISS Brew Homebrewing Blog

Most recent post: Beyond the Pale Ale Recipe

Old 07-19-2012, 04:27 AM   #5
RobertRGeorge
Recipes 

Liked 48 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 10

About a year ago I was trying to identify the feral hops that grow all over town and I found a website that had pictures of the cones and leaves of a good number of different varieties, the closest to my feral hops was Fuggle. But I just tried a search for it again and couldn't find it. Maybe you can get creative with Google terms. There are distinct differences in cone shapes and leaf shapes, but you will still end up only guessing without some kind of lab test if that even exists.

Quick Reply