Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway - Last Weekend to Enter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Hops Growing > What Do These Leaves Mean?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-11-2012, 07:31 PM   #1
PDonn63
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default What Do These Leaves Mean?

About 10 weeks ago I planted one each Chinook, Cascade, Hallertau, and Tettnanger in pretty large 20.5 inch pots (pictured below). They were planted in potting mix then covered with mulch. I've noticed that some of the leaves on the Hallertau and Tettnanger have started to discolor and wilt. I don't know if it is due to under or over watering, or a lack of fertilizer. The potting mix had slow release fertilizer mixed in, and I hit them with Miracle Gro Organic Liquid (primary ingredient is beet molasses) fertilizer yesterday. The first three pictures are from my Hallertau, the fourth one is from my Tettnanger, and the last just shows the pots I planted in. Any help is greatly appreciated.

008.jpg   009.jpg   007.jpg   006.jpg   010.jpg  

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-11-2012, 08:27 PM   #2
brian2can
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 3

First pic i don't like the webbing, is that from spider or those leave hoppers?

Iron. Leaves show strong chlorosis at the base of the leaves with some green netting. The most common symptom for iron deficiency starts out as an interveinal chlorosis of the youngest leaves, evolves into an overall chlorosis, and ends as a totally bleached leaf. The bleached areas often develop necrotic spots. Up until the time the leaves become almost completely white they will recover upon application of iron. In the recovery phase the veins are the first to recover as indicated by their bright green color. This distinct venial re-greening observed during iron recovery is probably the most recognizable symptom in all of classical plant nutrition. Because iron has a low mobility, iron deficiency symptoms appear first on the youngest leaves. Iron deficiency is strongly associated with calcareous soils and anaerobic conditions, and it is often induced by an excess of heavy metals.

Check out link

http://5e.plantphys.net/image.php?id=379

Look at my photos : I use Ironite once every 2 weeks. These are 2nd year plants. look at the other photos in my gallery for all the cones on my cascade.

When I get a really beautifully clear beer in my glass, I will drink it slowly, and study it through the light until my wife tells me I am a fool of a man. I will do anything to get brilliantly clear beer. It is a mark of skill of the brewer.

Old 06-11-2012, 09:38 PM   #3
PDonn63
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Thanks for the advice! I think you nailed the problem. The new leaves at the top of the vines are for sure looking the worst, and the leaves on the link you posted look just like my troublemakers. I actually had some Ironite in the shed, and went ahead and applied two tablespoons to each planter. I used about the dosage the directions had for potted plants (1/2 tablespoon for a 14'' pot plus 1/2 tablespoon for every 4'' thereafter - I was a little over), then watered it in pretty well. I just hope I'm not over watering; I researched causes for iron deficiency, and a few different sources said that over watering can be the culprit. Out of curiosity, do you know how long it takes for the iron correction to be visible in the leaves? Also, your hops look great; I can't believe how full they are!

Old 06-12-2012, 12:35 AM   #4
brian2can
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Yes I already picked some cascade hops just to smell them. I think it will take about 4 days to see. Also in the ironic are other micranutrients that are beneficial. Good luck

When I get a really beautifully clear beer in my glass, I will drink it slowly, and study it through the light until my wife tells me I am a fool of a man. I will do anything to get brilliantly clear beer. It is a mark of skill of the brewer.

Old 06-12-2012, 02:20 AM   #5
Stevo2569
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 2

What are the 9 other minerials in ironite?
Is this the same thing? Or I'm also thinking maybe magnesium Def.
[/IMG]

Fermentation may have been a greater discovery than fire."
-David Rains Wallace

My Brewing Apparatus

Old 06-12-2012, 02:38 AM   #6
brian2can
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Stevo here is link to label:
http://www.ironite.com/labels/2010/101-04.pdf

Here is the link of other deficiencies http://5e.plantphys.net/article.php?ch=t&id=289

For magneseum you could use epsom salt 1 tablespoon for 1 gallon of water.

Old 06-12-2012, 03:09 AM   #7
Stevo2569
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian2can
Stevo here is link to label:
http://www.ironite.com/labels/2010/101-04.pdf

Here is the link of other deficiencies http://5e.plantphys.net/article.php?ch=t&id=289

For magneseum you could use epsom salt 1 tablespoon for 1 gallon of water.
Yeh. Heard that. Ive been looking at many deferent sites a deficiency symptoms. Maybe it's just me but alot of those deficiencys look the same. Oh. And not tryin to thread jack but it seems OP has his resolved and as many of these threads exists I'd rather just piggyback if y'all don't mind.

-David Rains Wallace

My Brewing Apparatus

Old 06-12-2012, 02:45 PM   #8
PDonn63
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

You're fine, I don't mind. From your pic it looks like you built your own planter? If I saw right, do you mind if I ask how much that cost you/how many rhizomes you can plant? I'm not committed yet to putting them in the ground as I know the root systems go crazy, and to get a decent sized planter at the store runs 20$ a pop.

Old 06-12-2012, 04:41 PM   #9
Stevo2569
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDonn63
You're fine, I don't mind. From your pic it looks like you built your own planter? If I saw right, do you mind if I ask how much that cost you/how many rhizomes you can plant? I'm not committed yet to putting them in the ground as I know the root systems go crazy, and to get a decent sized planter at the store runs 20$ a pop.
Cool. It's made from scrap 2X4 and 1X6X6' dog ear pickets I already had. But a cost guess for a 3'X6' bed 3 boards high would be about $25. 2-3 crowns per bed.

-David Rains Wallace

My Brewing Apparatus

Old 06-12-2012, 11:37 PM   #10
Stevo2569
Recipes 

Has anybody ever used this? It looks to have most of the same stuff as ironite.

image-3875936994.jpg   image-1811250729.jpg  

-David Rains Wallace

My Brewing Apparatus

Quick Reply