Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Hops Growing > What do I do with new rhizomes in September?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-13-2012, 09:30 PM   #11
bionut
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoops_hops View Post
Hops like to freeze. If it freezes tomorrow the rhizome will preserve. If it doesn't freeze they will begin to root and be even stronger in the spring
Hello, i am in a similar dilemma, i will get some rhizomes in November. It's ok to plant them in the ground then? I live in Romania, around the 45 parallel. There are pretty expensive for me (i'm a student:-)) so i want to make the right choise not to lose them because of freeze or so... Thanks!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-14-2012, 01:51 AM   #12
hoops_hops
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bionut

Hello, i am in a similar dilemma, i will get some rhizomes in November. It's ok to plant them in the ground then? I live in Romania, around the 45 parallel. There are pretty expensive for me (i'm a student:-)) so i want to make the right choise not to lose them because of freeze or so... Thanks!
You should be fine, mulch heavily over where you plant them. That will keep the soil a bit warmer. Just remember that rhizomes have a fairly high rate of failure, so be prepared for some not to make it. If you are really paranoid you can pot them and plant in the spring, just don't make the mistake of giving them too much attention. Too many people feel they need to poke and prod and water their plants all the time and end up killing them.

Side note, I know they grow hops in Bulgaria, not sure how you would go about purchasing plants from there but I know they exist, and it might be closer/cheaper than where your getting them from now, and from the same climate.

Old 10-14-2012, 08:03 AM   #13
bionut
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoops_hops View Post
You should be fine, mulch heavily over where you plant them. That will keep the soil a bit warmer. Just remember that rhizomes have a fairly high rate of failure, so be prepared for some not to make it. If you are really paranoid you can pot them and plant in the spring, just don't make the mistake of giving them too much attention. Too many people feel they need to poke and prod and water their plants all the time and end up killing them.

Side note, I know they grow hops in Bulgaria, not sure how you would go about purchasing plants from there but I know they exist, and it might be closer/cheaper than where your getting them from now, and from the same climate.
Thank you for the reply, i will search for bulgarian rhizomes, i live at the bulgarian border :-D.

Old 11-02-2012, 04:33 PM   #14
bionut
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

Hello, i just receved five little hop plants from germany and i do not know what to do with them. Should i keep them in pots until spring time or plant outside? I,m afraid that the plants can die outside because are so little. Thanks!

Old 11-02-2012, 04:50 PM   #15
wyzazz
Recipes 

Liked 41 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 49

I would bring them inside until you feel that they are large enough to withstand the winter, then stick them in your garage in box or something to give them a mild wintering. JMO

And I'd like to see my 1.080 beers ready from grain to glass in a week, and served to me by red-headed twin penthouse pets wearing garter belts and fishnet stockings, with Irish accents, calling me "master luv gun," but we can't always get what we want can we? :)

Old 11-02-2012, 05:02 PM   #16
LuiInIdaho
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 24

My first hops plants were planted in October a few years ago. The result was that my first year plants produced like second year plants. The got a good start in the fall, weathered the winter well, and got a great start in the spring. You should be fine to plant them now.

Mark

Old 11-02-2012, 07:24 PM   #17
bionut
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuiInIdaho View Post
My first hops plants were planted in October a few years ago. The result was that my first year plants produced like second year plants. The got a good start in the fall, weathered the winter well, and got a great start in the spring. You should be fine to plant them now.

Mark
Thanks for the reply! Tomorrow i will plant them outside. Just one question to go, i believe i should mulch over, are leaves for the garden good for mulching? I also can use wheat straws or wood chips... What is the best choice?

Old 11-04-2012, 03:33 PM   #18
B-Hoppy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 136 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 239

If you use 'finished' compost you'll get the insulating/protective benefit of mulch along with a very slow feeding and enrichment of the soil. In a pinch though, any of your above mentioned materials will be better than nothing.

Old 11-04-2012, 03:38 PM   #19
olefattguy
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Yeah, plant them now and put a big heap of leaves over them to help insulate for winter, they will be fine.
If you put them in pots in your basement you'll most likely kill'em...

Old 11-04-2012, 06:01 PM   #20
bionut
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

I didn't had compost, i planted in the garden where i have vegetables. I encircled each plant with wire fence to keep animals away and covered with leaves. I am a bit concerned that the leaves are a little wet...

Quick Reply