Western Washington

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blitzgp

Reaction score
Does anyone know a variety of hops that will thrive in a lot of rain? From what Ive read, most hops are sensitive to over watering, and the average annual rainfall in my area is 3x that of Yakima Valley. And on that note, a hop variety that will thrive in less sunlight due to more rainy days. I know one exists, but my friends that started homebrewing years ago didnt bother telling me the type and I didnt bother asking ;p

I am right up the road from you. I've kind of gotten away from brewing but the last couple of years I grew cascade, centennial and fuggles all with great success.

Got some hops from a guy in Bremerton a few years back. Massive quantities. You have to remember it really doesn't rain as much from mid June to August, although this year might prove us wrong.

Yeah, this year we have to forget the idea that the hops are going to max out by the beginning of June and hope that they'll be done growing by the beginning of July. I do think the weather will improve and we'll just see a later harvest.

Yakima has been getting a LOT of rain this year. Driving the soft fruit (cherries, peaches, etc) farmers nuts. I didn't get a chance to drive past any of the hop farms (or talk to any of them) but I think this is effecting them as well ...to what extent? I don't know ...just sent off an email to Hop Union, I'll post when/if they reply.

Yeah, this year we have to forget the idea that the hops are going to max out by the beginning of June and hope that they'll be done growing by the beginning of July. I do think the weather will improve and we'll just see a later harvest.

I've never seen them done that early. Usually they grow like hell through July and August and are ready by the end of August.

(I thought) Usually they have reach the top of the trellis by June and you're right, they continue to grow out (bush out) and flower until ready for picking late August, early Sept.

...but I'm getting older and I may be wrong ...I can't find anything to back myself up.

No word from Hopunion or USA hops.

I've never seen them done that early. Usually they grow like hell through July and August and are ready by the end of August.

Back