Washington State Rhizome availability

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mattyg

Reaction score
Looking to start a hop garden this spring and looking for sources of rhizomes. Looks like I am limited to in-state purveyors since the hops here are quarantined.

I've seen Hops Direct & plan to call the LHBS today: Cellar HB, HB Heaven & Larry's Brew Supply.

Anything other sources my fellow Washingtonians can think of? Anyone have some you want to share in the PNW (Seattle Area)?

Also, a couple other questions:

1. Should you only plant one rhizome per vertical trellis set up?

2. Are there any issues with planting several different varieties close to each other?

3. Are there any varieties that really thrive in the Seattle area?

I would guess goldings would be the way to go in Seattle, out of 8 varieties that is the only one that fried in Boise

I placed my order at the LHBS in Oly. They are supposed to call me in late Feb early Mar with news when they come in...
I was told and have read that 2 Rhizomes per mound and 6 feet between varieties (3feet between like)
I ordered 8 (4 varieties) and plan on a single row set up on a 30' line with ample East through West exposure for plenty of sun.
I don't know what will do well in my soil so hence the 4 varieties. Cascade, Centenial, Fuggle, Hallertau (sorry I can't spell them, or so spell check says)

Time will tell. Your LHBS might be able to help you with growing info for your local.

Cheers and next year, depending on what does well here, let me know and we could trade some, since the borders are closed to us in WA.
Cheers

Historically speaking, I know Goldings and Brewers Gold were two of the most prolific varieties grown on "the west side" (mostly in the Fraser Valley near Chilliwack, BC). A friend is growing Mt. Hood and Cascade with great success out near Deming, WA (east of Bellingham, in the foothills). And I have seen locally grown, hand packed/sealed Willamette and Northern Brewer (from some dude's backyard) at my LHBS in Bellingham.

The LHBS and Direct are the places to go for Rhizomes. Only one per trellis varieties should be seperated by a few feet.

Here's another located in Lakewood. The Beer Essentials. I have no experience with them -they were listed in BYO magazine as a supplier of rhizomes. I'm thinking I might take a shot at growing this year as well. Anyone have any experience at growing hops in the Spokane area? I'd be interested to see which tend to do better over here.

2. Are there any issues with planting several different varieties close to each other?

The sidearms can run up to 3 feet long & they will grab anything they can, including other hop plants. Anything less than 5' and they will intermingle.

I ordered mine from Fresh Hops last year. <http://www.freshops.com> Very satisfied with their service. (See order below). I live in Eastern Wa, which is hop growing country.

For my first year, I had a good crop, about 1 lb yield dry (almost a paper box full), grown on one big trellis like an oil derrick (3 inverted rose trellises), three rhizomes per side, as I have limited room. About the same amount of hops per variety. I did have a bad aphid problem, which is another thread. I just bottled my "Aphid Ale" yesterday, which tasted promising. All my hops grew together, so I just made a three hop blend. I'm guessing that the plants will take over the garden this year, oh well, good problem to have.

Good luck.

3 (RHIZCA) Cascade rhizome $4.50 $13.50
* Weight: 0.07 lbs each

3 (RHIZKG) Kent Golding rhizome $4.50 $13.50
* Weight: 0.09 lbs each

3 (RHIZMA) Magnum rhizome $4.50 $13.50
* Weight: 0.07 lbs each

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Total Shipment Weight: 0.69 lbs Subtotal: $40.50
Shipping & Handling: $4.60
Total: $45.10

I ordered mine from Fresh Hops last year. <http://www.freshops.com> Very satisfied with their service. (See order below). I live in Eastern Wa, which is hop growing country.

Twabe: I see your in Tri-Cities. I'm not sure if your going to get more rhizomes at all, but Ice Harbor gets them every year from Hop Union for $3.95 each.

This year they can get:
Cascade
Centennial
Chinook
Fuggle
Glacier
Golding
Hallertau
Horizon
Liberty
Mt. Hood
Nugget
Santiam
Sterling
Tettnang
Willamette

If your around this Thursday (every 3rd of the month) theres a homebrew club meeting at 7pm up there

Bokonon, thank you for the heads up. I was going to order them at Ice Harbor last year, but was a little late & missed the order. Looks like their prices are really good. Hopefully I'll get enough returners this year so I won't have to order replacements. Mebbe I'll see you down there sometime (I'm the one with the mug of stout & the sack of seeds).

Last season I gave my sister(who lives on the "Dark Side"....sorry, west side) some Hal. Traditions and they did pretty good. She put the rhizomes in her greenhouse and the plant grew outside. Kept the root structure warm and it grew nicely.
Warmth and sunlight are key factors and after living over there for 21 years, good luck on both:)

Just finished preparing the beds for my first row of hops.

I rented a Roto-tiller for the tractor and put in a 5' by 100' Row. Added in 2 Yrds of compost and tilled in followed by mounding and one last pass with the tiller.

I have covered with Tarp to heat and kill off the grass seed and weeds.

Rhizomes should be here in 4 weeks.

So as I live in W-Washington, when is it normal to plant? Should I plant in pots and keep inside until May or plant in the first of April? As I have the ground covered, I could cut the tarp and insert the rhizomes. Any thoughts to that.

Second part.

I'm thinking of making poles with 2 12' (2x4) bolted with 2' overlap for 20' Poles. Stringing ground to top to top and back to ground with 2 additional tie downs at 90deg angles to the line. Maybe adding one post in the middle for support.

How do you provide irrigation? dripline? something else?

Cheers

Just finished preparing the beds for my first row of hops.

I rented a Roto-tiller for the tractor and put in a 5' by 100' Row. Added in 2 Yrds of compost and tilled in followed by mounding and one last pass with the tiller.

I have covered with Tarp to heat and kill off the grass seed and weeds.

Rhizomes should be here in 4 weeks.

So as I live in W-Washington, when is it normal to plant? Should I plant in pots and keep inside until May or plant in the first of April? As I have the ground covered, I could cut the tarp and insert the rhizomes. Any thoughts to that.

Second part.

I'm thinking of making poles with 2 12' (2x4) bolted with 2' overlap for 20' Poles. Stringing ground to top to top and back to ground with 2 additional tie downs at 90deg angles to the line. Maybe adding one post in the middle for support.

How do you provide irrigation? dripline? something else?

Cheers

I would plant them when they arrive. I live in Kitsap Co and my rhizomes are just starting to sprout. I have drip irrigation throughout my garden, including the hops.

GT

Looking to start a hop garden this spring and looking for sources of rhizomes. Looks like I am limited to in-state purveyors since the hops here are quarantined.

I've seen Hops Direct & plan to call the LHBS today: Cellar HB, HB Heaven & Larry's Brew Supply.

Anything other sources my fellow Washingtonians can think of? Anyone have some you want to share in the PNW (Seattle Area)?

Also, a couple other questions:

1. Should you only plant one rhizome per vertical trellis set up?

3. Are there any varieties that really thrive in the Seattle area?

My thoughts:
1. One 'zome is enough, but 2 is better. If one doesn't come up, the planting location is dormant for the year. One of 2 will come up. If 2 come up, mistreat them- I'll tell how below.

2. A friend has Mt. Hood across from Cascades. They are 8' apart at the ground, but because he has them growing on a big overarhing arbor, they grow into each other. This makes some difficulty in picking. So, if you plan to grow them close, think about where they will vine.

3. I have Fuggles in my yard. Cascades grow well here. My friend's Mt. Hoods are doing well. I am told- I didn't live here back then- that the Skagit Valley (where I live) was the hops capital of the state until more profitable crops came in. Then they went to the Yakima and surrounding area. I think most varieties will grow well here. You will have to sefend against bugs. Aphids are the worst.

Mistreating your hops- my LHBS told me to take extra bine starts that I would otherwise thin off, and bend them down to the ground and cover them. They will become rhyzomes next year.
I have about 50 tiny sprigs starting in my planting already.

CWB.... You Suck.....

Ok I'm just green with envy... Mine are on order....due in Late March.

Twabe: I see your in Tri-Cities. I'm not sure if your going to get more rhizomes at all, but Ice Harbor gets them every year from Hop Union for $3.95 each.

This year they can get:
Cascade
Centennial
Chinook
Fuggle
Glacier
Golding
Hallertau
Horizon
Liberty
Mt. Hood
Nugget
Santiam
Sterling
Tettnang
Willamette

If your around this Thursday (every 3rd of the month) theres a homebrew club meeting at 7pm up there

Bokonon when do they start selling them?

Anyone get their starts yet? I am still waiting for the LHS to come through.

I belive that we may frequent the same LHBS. It's that one that move last year right? I live in Tumwater, and I am waiting on 2 Goldings and 2 Willamettes. I can't wait. I live in a duplex with a litte yard so I am planning:
Plant 1 pet 24" pot with a 12' bamboo pole strung with twine in each corner of my yard. I am going to run the twine across the yard to extend growing. I am hoping for a nice hop celing.

Hey Chris, got the same call!!! Headed in to pick up my batch! Now if the rain/sleet will stop...... I'm going to have to get the tractor out and Mound my hop row to aid in drainage. I'd hate to see them rot with all this rain.

Cheers

I live in Seattle Metro and my hops did great for first year. Fuggle grew like a bat out of hell and got to 18'. Cascade and Chinook came in a close second at about 15" my Wilamette and goldings did ok, got about 10' before the aphids got them.

I would just throw them in the ground now if it snow so be it, not like the snow sticks around here that long.:ban:

I need about a pound of hops and 2 rhizomes to grow my own, for home remedy. I am in Vancouver BC, but travel to Bellingham and Sumas often. Please let me know if you have hops or know someone who does.

Back