Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Hops Growing > Wah!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-01-2009, 03:24 PM   #1
david_42
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 135 Times on 128 Posts

Default Wah!

I was checking the hops this morning and discovered the growth tip had been cut/chomped off of one of the Perle bines. Since the bine is almost 4 ft tall, I think I'll just let it ride.

I trained another bine to the twine. It's only 2 ft long and really thin. Don't know what it will do this late in the season, but it's worth trying.

Everything else has been enjoying the hot, sunny weather and growing 5-6" a day. Some of them are over 8 feet, which is about double what I've seen for 1 June in past years.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-01-2009, 03:40 PM   #2
Evan!

Recipes 

Liked 69 Times on 61 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Ah...that's life. I had a volunteer runner that had gone like 18 inches under the ground from my cascade crown and popped up there, so I hacked it off and transplanted it down to another line. It looked sad and mopey despite all the water it was getting...now, about a month later is has 3 or 4 brand new bines. I won't get anything from it this year, but it's a free rhizome!

Back to your subject, I wouldn't worry about the growth tip. I have had that happen before, and almost inevitably, it busts out a new growth tip from one of the crooks where the leaves are, a bit further back from the end of the bine.

What I can't figure out is why my 3rd year mount hood is only like 6 feet tall, when the 3rd-year cascades and crystal plants are up to the top of the line and very vigorous. And the damn EKG won't grow for sh*t either. It's a 2nd year plant, and the thing is barely 3" out of the ground. I might have to replace it with another crystal.

.planned:
•Scottish 80/- •Sweet Stout •Roggenbier
.primary | bright:
98: Moss Hollow Soured '09 72: Oude Kriek 99: B-Weisse 102: Brett'd BDSA 104: Feat of Strength Helles Bock 105: Merkin Brown
.on tap | kegged:
XX: Moss Hollow Springs Sparkling Water 95: Gott Mit Uns German Pils 91b: Brown Willie's Oaked Abbey Ale 103: Merkin Stout
98: Yorkshire Special 100: Maple Porter 89: Cidre Saison 101: Steffiweizen '09 (#3)

Old 06-01-2009, 03:53 PM   #3
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 135 Times on 128 Posts

Hops are weird. In the past, the Fuggles and Cascade ruled. They'd be up weeks ahead of everything else and hit the T-bar first. This year the Mt. Hood and Nuggett are doing the best.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 06-01-2009, 10:25 PM   #4
gunnyg
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

My first-year Cascade are hands down the best grower compared to 6 others.

On the other hand, my last year's Nuggett
and Chinook--both sprouted, grew fast and high last year--are the laggards this year having sprouted later than the new rhizomes, and have grown slowly since sprouting. So Far.

R. W. "Dick" Gaines
GnySgt USMC (Ret.)

POSTS/ARTICLES on Gunny G's..
http://www.GunnyG.wordpress.com
and....
http://www.network54.com/Forum/578302/
and....
GyG BEER....
http://www.network54.com/Forum/605099/

Quick Reply