Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Hops Growing > Very early flowering ?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-06-2012, 02:05 AM   #11
JRems
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 58 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 9

If you prepare your soil properly you shouldnt need to use miracle gro. My hops are already chock full of cones. The cascades are the largest. I have not watered or fertilized since the spring. Hops know what do do on their own, they are very hardy.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-06-2012, 03:15 AM   #12
jprice
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ypsetihw View Post
Also, if you care about your plants and your beer you won't use freakin miracle gro. Remember you're eventually gonna drink this stuff, you are what you eat applies to plants too. Spend a few bucks at the plant store for some good organic fertilizer.
Organic fertilizer is the biggest scam ever to grace the ailes of the local hardware store. Miracle grow, or any other fertilizer for that matter will provide proper nutrients that your soil may be lacking. If you think by adding nitrogen, phosphate, or potash to the soil you are in someway comprimising the taste or ability to safely consume a vegetable, fruit, or flower in this case, you are sadly mistaken and a fool for buying into the whole green/organic/hippy movement. A good soil test and proper soil conditioning are always the best way to plan for a good harvest in any crop, but sometimes mother nature needs a little help.

Old 07-06-2012, 05:38 AM   #13
B-Hoppy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 133 Times on 106 Posts
Likes Given: 238

jprice, I'm with you for the most part. If you have a little more than a general knowledge of plants, and what it takes to grow them, you can read soil test results and make the appropriate application of a known fertilizer/amendment based on your soil type and other growing conditions, including the requirements of the particular crop you are growing. Many folks begin growing 'stuff' for various reasons, hops are a prime example. Most of the folks growing them are most likely brewers. That doesn't necessarily mean that they all have green thumbs. Fortunately, I think the organic option has probably saved many hop plants from being unwittingly 'toasted' due to the minimal amounts of the big three (N,P,K) that they generally contain. That's a good thing in my opinion.

Both organic and commercially produced products have their pluses and minuses and I do agree that many of the organic products probably tug at the heartstrings of many, but I've also seen 46-0-0 catch a lawn on fire once so I guess it's great to live in a country where you can hug a tree and watch the fire department at your neighbor's house while drinking a homebrew? Happy Belated Independence Day!!

Old 07-06-2012, 05:44 AM   #14
RobertRGeorge
Recipes 

Liked 48 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 10

I have used Miracle Gro, organic fertilizer, fish emulsion, manure. I believe that by the time it gets into the hop flower it is all pretty much the same thing.

Old 07-07-2012, 01:19 AM   #15
Hopfarmer
Vendor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 14 Posts

Its about 6 to 8 weeks from burr to harvest . My Chinooks are in full cone ,wind and temps hurt that yard .The Cascades are doing GREAT. Here are a couple pics of the Cascades and Apples on the 4th. Also Hop and Brew School are just days away http://www.coloradoorganichops.com/?page_id=629 Cheers

july-4-2012-004.jpg   july-4-2012-018.jpg  

Quick Reply