Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Hops Growing > Unknown mega hop harvest

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-25-2008, 10:48 PM   #21
lostnfoam
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

those cones look like Galena. what time of the season did you pick them. Galena is a mid to late season picker. good luck and nice haul.

Secondary:

Bottled: English pale ale (first AG), cream ale, phat trye, oatmeal stout, imperial pumkin, imperial Ipa, kreik, calowiezen, winter warmer, st john IPA, pumkin ale, pumkin porter, imperial stout, belgain pale ale

Next to brew: coffee brown ale, witenger, belgain pale ale

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-03-2008, 01:33 AM   #22
Greenspey
Recipes 

You need to know how far back you can place them. 30's? 70's? etc.
I have some hops from the Coburg area that were planted in the 30's. Almost all the hops in the area from that time period will be Cluster hops.
They're a good all-around aroma hop, from what I've garnered from others. I haven't used any in a brew, yet, but mine smell earthy, spicy, with a slight hint of floral.

Pride must die in you, or nothing of Heaven can live in you.
~Andrew Murray

Old 11-10-2008, 10:25 PM   #23
Brewme
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

You could always ask this question on the hopsdirect.com forum. After all, if growers can't ID them by cone, you might be stuck until you get some leaves or brew with them. Good luck and let us know what you find out!

Got Twitter? If you want to follow me, my name is Brewme_slc

"Women and wine, game and deceit, make the wealth small and the wants great."
-That famous kite guy

Old 12-02-2008, 02:01 AM   #24
MTBREWDOG
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

From what I gather hops are very difficult to identify. They look similar to a herloom variety that I have growing. I would reccomend tasting them as well. You should be able to determine a good idea of whether they are a bittering hop or an aroma hop by how bitter they taste. I would taste a variety that you know the alpha acid content on then taste yours. If it's more bitter than you know it has more alpha acids than that variety. Do the same for smell and that'll give you a general idea of what it comes close to. I would then use it accordingly. I would find a good recipe and just adjust quantities based on your best guess of alpha acid content.

Otherwise I can offer up this info -- The Hop Growers of America sent me this when I was in search of what variety I had...

"Identifying a variety of hops is difficult, particularly with heirloom varieties that are no longer produced commercially (or may have never been commercially produced). Researchers could do a PCR analysis to try to match the DNA to a known variety, but that is a pretty costly process. It also requires that the variety has already been characterized regarding the DNA fingerprint. As you already know the hops in question are probably an old or wild variety that someone moved to that location, it is highly unlikely that the DNA fingerprint would match any current commercial variety that has been characterized. Unfortunately, modern breeding programs have created a whole range of relatively new commercial varieties that are now demanded by brewers (virtually everything we grow has been released in the past 30 years). You indicated that you are testing some in your own pilot brew, so you may wish to just brew and enjoy! You may have the next "Local Heirloom Hop Ale" to share with your friends!

If you want a brewing value profile (although this won't pinpoint variety), the Washington State Dept. of Agriculture's Hop Laboratory in Yakima, WA offers this service for a nominal fee. You are welcome to contact the Hop Lab's manager, Royal Schoen, at rschoen@agr.wa.gov to discuss the brewing value testing that they offer."

Hope this helps!!

Cheers!

Joe

Quick Reply