The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Hops Growing > Unfortunate Confirmation...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-20-2013, 05:53 AM   #21
ong
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 84 Times on 65 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GVH_Dan
Homegrown hops can be successfully used for bittering and can have the same "effect" as commercial grown hops provide you do everything correctly. The first problem is that the typical homegrower harvests way too early. They look at the big, green cone and think "how beautiful". They can't wait to get it into a beer. The reality is that the alpha acids (bittering compounds) are some of the last things to develop in the cone. So if the cones are picked early, the oils and aroma may be there but the bittering isn't.
I think this is pretty much what I did. I really didn't get much flavor or aroma, either, though. Mine was an all-Nugget wet hop; a hop I don't have much experience with. Kind of a big flop all round. I was kind of shocked that nearly 2 lbs of wet hops left so little impact on my beer, but I'll chalk it up as a learning experience. Fortunately I have no shortage of homebrew queued up still!

Oregonians: trade canned goods, homebrew, fresh produce, and more at chowswap.org!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-20-2013, 06:28 AM   #22
Epimetheus
Recipes 

Liked 91 Times on 76 Posts
Likes Given: 52

That is rather discouraging information. What conditions makes for successful home grown hops?

Add your water analysis to the water report map! Instructions on this thread

Old 10-20-2013, 02:55 PM   #23
day_trippr
Recipes 

Liked 973 Times on 796 Posts

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f92/how-grow-hops-96920/

Cheers!

Old 10-20-2013, 05:21 PM   #24
rniles
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 9

A good overall resource is: http://www.crannogales.com/HopsManual.pdf ...go to Harvest Time (pg 29) concerning when to harvest.

I like to look at the hops to test.

1. Take a hop, squeeze it and it should spring back into shape immediately.

2. Then I open the hop from the top down and I take a look at the color and amount of lupulin. I'm usually looking for the yellow lupulin to start to turn towards a yellow-orange color. Different hops hold different amounts ...eg: Hallertau less then Cascades. It is tricky sometimes ..if you wait too long, they can go "cheesy" on you and you don't want that.

3. Then I usually rub the hop between my hands really fast to warm up the lupulin and smell it. The smell should be quite noticeable, appropriate to the hop type, and my hands should be nice and sticky form the lupulin.

---
Opinions don't change physics.

Old 10-20-2013, 11:53 PM   #25
GVH_Dan
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 135 Times on 99 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epimetheus View Post
That is rather discouraging information. What conditions makes for successful home grown hops?
Don't be discouraged. See it as a challenge. Heck, it took me a decade before I started growing tomatoes I was proud of and hops are way more complex than hops.

If nothing else, use commercial hops for bittering and your homegrown hops for late addition. Even if you aren't picking at peak "bittering", its really easy to smell if they are ready to be picked for oil and aroma.

Quick Reply