Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Hops Growing > Two harvests in 2012 in Upstate New York

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-25-2012, 08:47 PM   #1
JMaslar
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Two harvests in 2012 in Upstate New York

I see that most of the country has enjoyed a very mild winter and early spring thus far. In Binghamton, NY, it was in the 60s and 70s last week, and still unseasonably warm in the 50s to 60s this week. My 3rd year and 2nd year Cascade and Willamette are 6-18" and going steady. The cuttings I took are rooting nicely under CFLs and will be outside by the end of the week.
What are the chances I could get 2 harvests off of the older plants? How far along are plants who regularly do get 2? Last year was a good season if you constantly watered. I harvested in Sept which seemed to have been right on point.
Thanks!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-26-2012, 05:31 AM   #2
sweetcell
Swollen Member
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 672 Times on 499 Posts
Likes Given: 264

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMaslar View Post
What are the chances I could get 2 harvests off of the older plants?
i believe that the chances are nil, unless you use lights. hops don't start flowering until they sense the days getting shorter.

some plants need X days until they flower/produce fruit, these plants you can get more than one harvest per year. but unless you use artificial lights (i.e. you can fake an increase and a decrease in light per day) with hops, you're only going to get one harvest per season.

Drinking: a farmhouse with ECY08 & brett blend, wet-hopped harvest ale x 2, second runnings dark ale with vanilla
Fermenting: (nothing active)
Aging: imperial chocolate stout, sour cherry mead, oud bruin & a few other sours, acerglyn, a BDSA

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply