Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Hops Growing > Trellis as Eye Sore Issue

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-02-2011, 08:43 PM   #11
Randar
Damn right I got da brews
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 4594 Times on 4499 Posts
Likes Given: 2061

Retro, I have 13.5' of 6x6 poles that are there year round now and going to add a 4 ft extension this year...

I would say you're fine, but every neighborhood is different.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-03-2011, 01:20 AM   #12
dallasdb
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 53 Times on 43 Posts
Likes Given: 17

I went with a 20 ft 2x4 for my 8 Centennial plants and a basketball hoop pole without the backboard for my 6 Saaz plants.

I DARE my neighbor to complain because his two massive trees have messed up my back fence and his branches/leaves are completely encroaching my property line. haha

Old 05-03-2011, 03:54 AM   #13
ReverseApacheMaster
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 229 Times on 192 Posts

I have the same problem with the HOA here. Nothing over the fence line unless it is vegetation and only what is appropriate according to the HOA. I used very small trellises that will inhibit cone production but it was better than nothing.

Old 05-03-2011, 07:47 PM   #14
microbusbrewery
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 86 Times on 66 Posts
Likes Given: 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasdb View Post
That is why when I bought my house I told the realtor NO HOA's!!!

Waste of money and pain in the butt. If I want to park my trailer, with a half torn tarp, in my driveway for a week I can.
Mine isn't as bad as most. $10 a month to basically cover snow removal and pothole repair. The thing that annoys me is the enforcement seems to be very selective (e.g. all the other structures in view of my backyard that are over 8 feet). I'd offer free beer to the board members but I live in Utah so a lot of my neighbors don't drink.

All that said, I think my next house will be in a non-HOA area hopefully with a big enough lot for a small shop/brew shed and a couple dozen hop plants...on a really tall trellis.

Old 05-04-2011, 12:54 AM   #15
Horseshoot
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Dude, I hardly think you are the jerk. I tend to subscribe to the idea that if I own the property, I do what I want... As long as it is legal. Keep in mind, I am a Kentucky native who now lives in Western Maine. People there, and here, tend to not be too picky.
A couple years ago, my neighbor (who also has his law office in his house) started a huge back yard project. It is still only 1/3 completed. He came over one evening while I was grilling, to apologize. I gave him a beer. Why do I care? It's not my backyard!

I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the mornings, that is the best they are going to feel all day.

Old 05-10-2011, 03:05 AM   #16
Retrofit
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Well a lot has transpired since I made my first post. First I tore the whole thing down, which was easy- I used bolts instead of nails/screws. The plan all along was I could disassemble it for winter.

I used a 4*4 as a base pole and I put 2*4's on the side. I lowered it to 8.5' making it shorter than the previous year and I was mad, but quietly mad. On the weekend my neighbors gathered for a neighborhood bonfire and I handed out a case of beer- probably more to my neighbors. I pointed out the beer wasn't just home brewed, it was made with home grown 'organic' hops. The trellis came up. I said, "I'm working on it- I want it as tall as possible with out being your crazy neighbor."

I have one neighbor who can see it and he was talking about it is 'bit crazy'. His wife got DRUNK and she said, "It's not that big a deal." Later she said, "With the trees we can hardly see it." I gave her beer to take home and her husband finally said, "I was just giving you a hard time..."

Somewhere at this site there is a guy who make a telescoping trellis and that was my inspiration. I took the 4*4 posts and drilled two holes for bolts. In the 2*4's that go on the edge, I drilled holes at 1' increments. So my trellis starts at 8.5' and I can raise it as the season goes. I didn't tell anyone this is my plan. I already got the drunk wife/husband approval; "I was just giving you a hard time." But what's done is done.

Currently it's 8.5' I have the option to raise it. I can raise it to 12.5' and next year if I rebuild the base posts I could raise it to 16.5'- but I'll probably never do it. I shelled out all the beer at this neighborhood fire pit party. Maybe they forgot how handy it is have a brewer as a neighbor.

Thanks guys for all the comments. I was really taken by surprise this year. Me growing hops isn't a surprise to anyone. In fact the association sent a guy to my house for a proxy vote. I never met the guy before and he said, 'So your that hop guy." I smiled (not know where this is going) and said, "Yeah." He said, "That's cool, can I have your proxy vote?" I said sure and gave him a six pack as well. This is Chicago-land. If I need to bribe a neighbor or three- that's what I got to do!

My hops are up and my world is well.

Old 05-10-2011, 02:21 PM   #17
NoNothing
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Awesome having everything worked out! I was reading your thread thinking, shi*, Im going through the same thing. Trying to figure out how high I can go with my hops without pissing off the neighbors.

If they drank it'd be easier

Old 05-10-2011, 02:48 PM   #18
Randar
Damn right I got da brews
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 4594 Times on 4499 Posts
Likes Given: 2061

Good outcome, Retro. I find homebrew buys good favor with all my neighbors except the teetotaler old lady that calls the village about everything. But, my hop trellis is village approved now, so forget her!

Quick Reply