Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Hops Growing > Trellis Designs?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-18-2008, 04:58 PM   #1
Boerderij_Kabouter
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 119 Times on 103 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Default Trellis Designs?

Hello all you experienced hop growers out there! I am going to be planting ~10 vines this year and would like to know/see what kind of trellis systems you are using. Right now I am planning to train the vines on a traditional tent like trellis (don;t know what the design is called)

Pictures of your vines and setups would be great!

Thanks

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-18-2008, 05:19 PM   #2
sleepystevenson
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 7 Posts

Great idea on to add this section!

My neighbor owns a fencing business. He said I could have any of the used stuff he has taken down. I am thinking about using a rather tall section of standard chain link fence. Maybe ten ft tall x ten ft wide. Any thoughts on this? I was thinking, use 1 section for each variety of hop, maybe 2-3 rhizomes per section? BTW, I am located in NW PA, between Pittsburgh and Erie.

Old 02-18-2008, 05:33 PM   #3
cheezydemon
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I plan to use regular chain link this year. I plan to train bines horizontally about 1 foot off of the ground and then cut off the growing tip. This should encourage lots of "branches" to then grow upwards from the main stalk.

Yes I am a self proclaimed genius.

BOTTLED: "Route 66 IPA" 7% ABV, "Dave's Imperial Stout" 12% ABV , "Spider Imperial Stout" 9%ABV , "Mutt Irish Ale" 7% ABV, "Sorta Sierra" IPA's 4.4% ABV, "Habanero Ales" 5.5% ABV, "Pumpkin Seed Ale" 5.5% ABV , "Marzen" Lager, "Step child Ale",
PRIMARies: "Caramel Amber" , "Black Porter"
SECONDARIES:1 :"Miller Ale"
On DECK: Another Russian Stout

Old 02-18-2008, 05:41 PM   #4
pjj2ba
Look under the recliner
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 195 Times on 161 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Here's my trellis. The grey pipe is schedule 80 PVC pipe - it's extra thick-walled. I bought some fence posts which I had hoped would fit perfectly inside the pipe. Not quite - I had to use an angle grinder to grind down some of the nubs so the pvc would fit over it. Once ground down, enough the posts were pounded into the ground. The trellis is in two sections. The bottom portion (includes the white cross braces is permanent. The top part can be lifted up out of the lower white tees and lowered to facilitate harvest. All assembled it is about 14 ft tall. For this year I think I might add some extensions at the top that stick out to the side about 2 ft and tie the strings to that rather than the cross pieces like they are currently. This will give me a little extra height, improve air circulation and help to prevent the bines from twisting into one another at the top/

Primary: Pale Ale
Brewing soon: Saison
Recently kicked : ( IPA, Bock, Saison,
Pilsner Urquell Master Homebrewer
(1st NYC 2011, 2nd NYC 2012)
P U crowns winners in its inaugural master HB competition

Old 02-18-2008, 05:48 PM   #5
cheezydemon
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Pretty damn cool. It looks OK too.

I wonder if a nice painted wooden version of that would fly with SWMBO.(she who MIGHT be obeyed lol)

BOTTLED: "Route 66 IPA" 7% ABV, "Dave's Imperial Stout" 12% ABV , "Spider Imperial Stout" 9%ABV , "Mutt Irish Ale" 7% ABV, "Sorta Sierra" IPA's 4.4% ABV, "Habanero Ales" 5.5% ABV, "Pumpkin Seed Ale" 5.5% ABV , "Marzen" Lager, "Step child Ale",
PRIMARies: "Caramel Amber" , "Black Porter"
SECONDARIES:1 :"Miller Ale"
On DECK: Another Russian Stout

Old 02-18-2008, 07:22 PM   #6
sleepystevenson
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 7 Posts

HA Ha Ha Ha!!!

You know, I have been on this forum for some time now, and I FINALLY got what SWMBO means!

Thanks, Cheezy!

'Course in my unmarried case, it DOES mean "Might Be Obeyed"....

Old 02-18-2008, 07:31 PM   #7
GilaMinumBeer
In yo' garage, steelin' yo parts.

Recipes 

Liked 4829 Times on 4432 Posts
Likes Given: 59

No pics yet. In the process of building.

I am doing a somewhat traditional commercial style trellis. (3) 4x4x16 foot posts spread 25 feet on center and set 3 foot into the ground in concrete. Using stainless arcraft cable as the main line and a heavy sisal (that endures our climate through the season) for the uprights. The bottom clips are of 3/8" x 2 foot rebar.

I have read that anything lower than 10 foot "can" cause "dwarving" of the plants and reduced yields.

My yard consists of 12 varieties on 4 foot centers across 50 foot of raised planting bed.

Mature bines at peak of season and in full production "can" wiegh up to 100 pounds each so, I am not taking any chances.

Before this I had strung lines from the ground to my eaves. After all had dies back in the fall, and while I was cleaning up the yard I found that several of the lines had strateched and were ready to snap or had already frayed to near failure.

SWMBO isn't too thrilled about the design but I'll be damned if I am going to continue to pay these prices for something I can grow myself. Plus, I have made room for her too.

Old 02-18-2008, 08:41 PM   #8
pjj2ba
Look under the recliner

Recipes 

Liked 195 Times on 161 Posts
Likes Given: 22

My original plan was to paint the trellis green. My wife was a bit concerned about how it would look. Once we got it up she decided that it didn't look to bad the way it was. I still may paint it green one of these days..............

Prior to building this I kept thinking of how I could devise a system with ropes and pulleys so I could lower the top frame. I finally gave up on that and went with a semi-fixed design.

Primary: Pale Ale
Brewing soon: Saison
Recently kicked : ( IPA, Bock, Saison,
Pilsner Urquell Master Homebrewer
(1st NYC 2011, 2nd NYC 2012)
P U crowns winners in its inaugural master HB competition

Old 02-18-2008, 11:12 PM   #9
micsager
Recipes 

I'm gonna use my regualr 4' chain link, and trellis horizontally. I'm intrigued by cutting them off at 1' and letting them branch. sounds like a plan.

Old 02-19-2008, 05:38 PM   #10
balto charlie

Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts

A lot of folks want to use their chain link fences. While this method works it will reduce yields as previously stated but also make for difficult harvest. If you are in a hot area of the country think about spending a few hours in the blazing sun pulling cones through a metal fence. Best to go w/ sisal twine up high.
I'm thinking about using some old trees but this does not come w/out problems. Wind can cause damage to vines if tied to trees. Charlie

Primary Evil Twin Strong Ale
On Deck ESB, Belgian Dubbel

Quick Reply