Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Hops Growing > Trellis Design Between 2 Pine Trees?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-01-2009, 10:01 PM   #1
akmolloy
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Trellis Design Between 2 Pine Trees?

I have 2 very tall pine trees that are 21 feet apart right on the edge of my grass line where I'm going to grow hops. They would face east, and get a decent amount of sun, especially in the afternoon/evening.

I'd like to plant 4 varieties between the trees and use the trees for my trellis "poles".

How close to the pine trees could I plant the first rhizome on each side? I'm planning on about 1.5 feet away.

For the trellis, I was thinking of screwing in some eye bolts about 20 feet off the ground into each tree, and eye bolts on each tree at ground level as well. The running something up through as the main line. I bought some of the hop coconut husk twine to use for lines from the ground up. Is that twine strong enough to run as the main support or is there a cheapish alternative?

Any other ideas on how I might make it easy to put up and then back down?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-02-2009, 07:07 AM   #2
JarrodH
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

From Freshops on spacing: (Hop Gardening)

"Planting

The soil should be tilled to create a weed free area. A strong support system is needed for the plant to climb on. Look for space along fences, garage, or property lines. Plant in early spring once the threat of frost is gone but no later than May. the soil should be worked into a fine, friable condition prior to planting. In cold climates you can plant rhizomes in pots and transplant in June.

Plant 1 rhizome per hill with the buds pointed up and cover with 1 inch of loose soil. Hills should be spaced at least 3 feet apart if the hills are of the same variety and 5 feet apart if they are different. The first year the hop plant requires frequent light watering. "

Old 03-03-2009, 03:01 AM   #3
akmolloy
Recipes 

Thanks. I had read that and knew my rhizome spacing, but I'm actually wondering how close to the pine tree people think I could go.

For the top wire, I'm also wondering how strong it needs to be with 4-5 plants, and would I need some kind of tensioners?

Old 03-03-2009, 07:38 AM   #4
JarrodH
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

From the few pine trees that I have had to cut down / dig up at my parents house, their roots can go a far ways. I know the pine tree they just cut down had roots 30 feet long that got into their septic system. 1.5 feet may be a little close to the tree since hops roots can grow quite a ways. You may end up also digging into the roots if they are older trees. Not sure on the tensioner. My first year plants were probably about 2-4 pounds per plant at the most and I anchored them to a barn with hop twine, so I wasn't really worried about anything moving.

Old 03-03-2009, 01:12 PM   #5
Chello
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Don't the majority of pine tree roots grow straight down?

"Retail is for suckers."

Old 03-03-2009, 02:47 PM   #6
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1056 Times on 704 Posts
Likes Given: 28

It's not the weight of the vine you have to worry about, it's all the surface area they present to the wind creating a big sail.

If it were me, I'd put an eyebolt in each tree and run a 3/16" cable across, through the eyebolt and down to ground level. Put another eyebolt in the tree down there and use a turnbuckle on both cables with a hook on the end. The idea is that you want to be able to release both ends so that the vines come down to you for harvesting. However, you don't want to lose the ends or you'll have to get the ladder back out to grab the ends again.

Chugger Pumps, Pump Kits, Camlocks, Sightglasses, Clear USA made Silicone Tubing, RIMS, Electric Install Parts, etc. Did you know we are also now a full service homebrew shop selling malt, hops, yeast (Wyeast), etc?

Old 03-03-2009, 08:45 PM   #7
JarrodH
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chello View Post
Don't the majority of pine tree roots grow straight down?
When we dug up the pine trees at my parents house, the were 6-8 inch roots 4-5 feet out from the trunk. This was a 15 year old tree.

Old 03-03-2009, 10:58 PM   #8
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 138 Times on 131 Posts

I would be a bit worried about the close hop bines wrapping themselves around the trees. They can be very grabby and sidearms can be 3 feet long. Of course, if you planted Cascades next to the trees, a little pine resin wouldn't be a problem.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 03-04-2009, 12:38 AM   #9
addis29
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Most pine trees create a very acidic soil around them. I would check the Ph of the soil, make sure it's good for growing.

Old 03-04-2009, 02:21 AM   #10
akmolloy
Recipes 

Awesome, thanks for all the info everyone! It's appreciated.

Quick Reply