Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Hops Growing > transplanting hops...how?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-17-2008, 05:48 AM   #11
kenb
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Man this is going to be hard to accept. Today i looked and i actually have about 50 1" cones on my Mt Hood plant. And am moving in 72 hours. So they are not ready to pick yet....Do i really need to chop it down to 3 feet and lose all my crop this year in order for the zome to survive? If i transplant the whole thing, small cones and all, what is the chance that the cones will keep growing? i think i am only about 1-2 weeks from harvestable cones?...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-19-2008, 10:34 PM   #12
The Soft Underbelly
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 19

my guess would be that the rhizome would survive either way, i mean hops are practically a weed, it's a hearty plant. Examine the worst case scenario, if you cut to 3 feet and you loose all your hops the plant may or may not live and you have no hops. If you don't trim it back and some how up-root it and transplant it, you may not get any cones either and the plant may or may not survive next year.

If it were me, and these were 1st year rhizomes, i would dig up as much of the root area as i could w/o trimming and hope for the best. Then i would be sure to order more rhizomes next spring in the event of the worst.

Old 08-29-2008, 01:21 AM   #13
Willie3

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 5

kenb,

What was the outcome? I would have done what TSU wrote above. I also would have buried some of the bines in some planters and tried to have them grow a root system. That has got to be hard. I know I put tons of time and energy into mine and would hate to have to start over again in another years time. Hope it all worked out for you!

- WW

Willie3

NJ HOPZ - North Jersey Homebrewers Organization of Praciticing Zymurgisits

FINAL GRAVITY PODCAST PERSONALITY

I brew therefor I am!

Old 08-30-2008, 07:01 AM   #14
kenb
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I ended up cutting it back to about 1 foot a week ago, is still in the planter as i am trying to figure out where to plant. Too much shade at the new house....

Old 09-07-2008, 01:47 AM   #15
Ecnerwal
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I'll go (too late for your move) with the observation that they are tough and practically weeds.

I got my rhizomes from a local guy where I used to work. He just ripped up some bine and the attached rhizome and popped them in plastic bags and brought them into work. I got all concerned and fussed with getting some damp newspaper in there with them (no dirt, roots left dry, bad for plants) until I got them home to plant. Having grown the things for over a decade, I have a better understanding of his approach - While you can fuss over the things as you might with a delicate plant, they are not a delicate plant.

Quick Reply