Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Hops Growing > Transplanting Advice Needed

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-31-2010, 07:50 PM   #1
Kickass
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Transplanting Advice Needed

I’ll save the back story of my callous, black hearted, soon to be ex-wife and get to my question.

I’m forced to transplant my fist year Chinook and Cascade from my garden to containers. They were planted April 3rd and are roughly 6 feet tall. My question is this: how big is the root structure? I’d like to keep as much of it intact as possible when digging it up to prevent unnecessary growth stunt.

BTW, if anyone out there is looking for large cheap containers skip the nursery. Buy one of those large plastic circular containers with rope handles made for keeping beer and soda on ice from that big awful store that sales everything under the sun at ridiculously cheap prices.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-01-2010, 03:36 AM   #2
Suthrncomfrt1884
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Another suggestion for containers...wooden barrels cut in half. Tyranenna Brewery in Lake Mills, WI sells their used barrels for $10. They're no good for brewing, but perfect for yard decor.

As for transplanting... the roots shouldn't be too much to deal with at this point, but I'd be worried about moving a 1st year. When I take my rhizomes up every 2-3 years to prune the root ball, they're usually about 2'x2' clusters give or take a little. That's with 2-3 years of growth though.

Another HERMS rig...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply