Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Hops Growing > Trade for Golding Rhizomes? / Clusters

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-19-2013, 04:47 PM   #1
roastquake
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 241 Times on 201 Posts
Likes Given: 148

Default Trade for Golding Rhizomes? / Clusters

Two questions:

1. I will be digging up rhizomes of a third-year Goldings plant. They didn't do so well, maybe because of the climate here in South Carolina, I'm not too sure but I'm willing to trade for some different varieties. Does anyone have some rhizomes you want to trade? Something that might do well in a moist, hot climate?

2. Does anyone know why I cannot find rhizomes for my favorite hop, Cluster? Are they legally protected by their growers? I would be willing to buy or trade them.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-19-2013, 07:22 PM   #2
B-Hoppy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 132 Times on 105 Posts
Likes Given: 230

Sorry, no Cluster to trade here just Simcoe, but if you pick them really late they kind of pick up that 'Cluster' character. Just foolin'. You could try some Canadian Redvines which are pretty similar to Cluster and are very vigorous, even enough to grow down your way. Check out freshops.com in a month or two as I know they sell Redvine rhizomes. Hop on!

Old 01-20-2013, 08:25 PM   #3
jester5120
The Vanilla Gorilla
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 20

when the ground thaws a little more i'll have a ton of cascade rhizomes and some crowns i'd like to get rid of for english varieties. I know these aren't the most exciting variety but i got them for sure. I transplanted some centennial, chinook, columbus, nugget, and willamette at the end of the season so it's possible those will have some rhizomes as well.

Kegged Hip Hop IPA, Chocolate Cream Stout

Old 01-20-2013, 08:31 PM   #4
alane1
Recipes 

Liked 157 Times on 118 Posts
Likes Given: 116

Quote:
Originally Posted by jester5120 View Post
when the ground thaws a little more i'll have a ton of cascade rhizomes and some crowns i'd like to get rid of for english varieties. I know these aren't the most exciting variety but i got them for sure. I transplanted some centennial, chinook, columbus, nugget, and willamette at the end of the season so it's possible those will have some rhizomes as well.
I'm dividing my fuggles this spring, I would definatly be interested in centennial and chinook.pm me if you're interested.

Old 01-20-2013, 11:29 PM   #5
roastquake
Recipes 

Liked 241 Times on 201 Posts
Likes Given: 148

Quote:
Originally Posted by jester5120
I had very good results with cascades, I will message you when I dig those Goldings

Old 01-21-2013, 12:04 AM   #6
gbx
Recipes 

Liked 72 Times on 59 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by roastquake View Post
2. Does anyone know why I cannot find rhizomes for my favorite hop, Cluster? Are they legally protected by their growers? I would be willing to buy or trade them.
Cluster was a popular hop in the 1800's, I'm sure they are not protected. I doubt it had any kind of legal protection back then but if it did it must have expired at least a century ago They are probably hard to find because the demand is so low.

Old 02-10-2013, 04:15 PM   #7
brewerelated
Recipes 

Liked 59 Times on 47 Posts
Likes Given: 33

I would like a cluster rhizome as well. If anybody can get a hold of one please PM me, I would be willing to trade.

Old 02-12-2013, 11:34 PM   #8
nagmay
Recipes 

Liked 123 Times on 73 Posts
Likes Given: 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-Hoppy View Post
You could try some Canadian Redvines which are pretty similar to Cluster and are very vigorous
Clusters and RedVine are very different plants, but have a strange interconnection. According to the USDA records, RedVine was often planted in cluster fields to "increase" yield. Workers were paid by the rhizome when digging for new fields - since RedVine puts out massive roots - the new fields were almost entirely RedVine.

So, it is possible, that what you thought was Cluster was actually RedVine...

Last time I checked, RedVine were for sale at Great Lakes Hops.

Old 02-12-2013, 11:43 PM   #9
nagmay
Recipes 

Liked 123 Times on 73 Posts
Likes Given: 110

Or, if you want real Clusters...

HopsDirect recently posted this on Facebook:
"The following rhizome varieties will be available for purchase via www.hopsdirect.com the first week of March: Cascade, Centennial, Chinook, Cluster, Galena, Magnum, Mt. Hood, Nugget, Tettnanger, and Willamette. Rhizomes are $7.00 each, Cheers!"

Cheers!

Old 02-13-2013, 12:59 AM   #10
B-Hoppy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 132 Times on 105 Posts
Likes Given: 230

Quote:
Originally Posted by nagmay View Post

So, it is possible, that what you thought was Cluster was actually RedVine...
Back in the late 80's/early 90's, I was given some rhizomes and were told they were Canadian Redvine. Never heard of them so I contacted Dr. Al over at the USDA farm in Corvallis. He asked me to send him some to grow to find out if they actually were because when they were ripped up (long ago), no one ever thought of saving some for the gene pool. He confirmed (through oil testing) that they actually were and now has them growing across the river at the germplasm repository. My 15 minutes of hop fame, hahaha!

Quick Reply