HBT 2015 Big Giveaway - Enter Now

Huge Supporting Membership Discounts - 20% Off

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Hops Growing > Tips and tricks for transplanting potted hops

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-30-2012, 11:14 PM   #1
EllisTX
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 48 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Default Tips and tricks for transplanting potted hops

I started two rhizomes this year of Cascade and Centennial, and one crown of Chinook. They all grew fairly well and produced a little. I'm going to transplant them this winter into a raised bed that I have not yet built.

Any ideas on the best plan of attack on building a raised bed. Soil mix, height, etc....?

"La La La Lo Lo Lo Luuuke, Luuuke, I am your father, Lo Lo Lo Lu Lu Lu"- Chris Farley

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-02-2012, 05:29 AM   #2
jjones17
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllisTX View Post
I started two rhizomes this year of Cascade and Centennial, and one crown of Chinook. They all grew fairly well and produced a little. I'm going to transplant them this winter into a raised bed that I have not yet built.

Any ideas on the best plan of attack on building a raised bed. Soil mix, height, etc....?
Avid gardener here, and hop grower. The height of your bed will have no effect on the hops. They would grow literally anywhere, and they are almost impossible to kill. For soil I recommend the same soil you would grow anything in - use dirt, and make sure you add lots of compost. As much as possible. Keep it simple.

Old 12-05-2012, 02:50 AM   #3
wolverinebrewer
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 15

I would make individual boxes and make them at least 3'x3'. Six or eight inches high would be sufficient and fill with a good quality soil medium. I would add a soil less mix, bulk if you can find it since you will need a good amount. If you can't find this, I would make my own using compost, sphagnum and a little peat. You want it as organic as possible and well draining. Then in the fall, add 6" of mowed up leaves over the top. This is the type of soil I use in my 4'x10' boxes for my tomatoes and hot peppers and it's the most organic well-draining soil I've ever seen. I just keep adding leaves every fall.

Old 12-05-2012, 02:59 AM   #4
EllisTX
Recipes 

Liked 48 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Thanks for the replies. Now I have to get off my lazy butt and do it.

"La La La Lo Lo Lo Luuuke, Luuuke, I am your father, Lo Lo Lo Lu Lu Lu"- Chris Farley

Quick Reply