Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Hops Growing > Is there a Hop Doctor in the House?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-16-2010, 02:27 AM   #11
wyzazz
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 41 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 49

I'm a pretty hands off kind of guy, I fertilize a few times during the season, I do amend my soil with manure, I weed & mulch my garden (with straw) but I definitely don't mess with them every day, or for that matter every week. I figure that they've thrived year after year without my interference so they should be able to keep doing so. I treat my garden just the same and it does fantastic every year. (knock on wood)

I'd keep watering, leave the mulch as it will suck up the excess nitrogen, and quit miffing with them. They should do fine in a week or two and start to "right" themselves. Or if you are a real "hands on" type of gardener, do as Andrea suggested and add some Iron to the soil, it should help them recover faster.

And I'd like to see my 1.080 beers ready from grain to glass in a week, and served to me by red-headed twin penthouse pets wearing garter belts and fishnet stockings, with Irish accents, calling me "master luv gun," but we can't always get what we want can we? :)

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-16-2010, 04:16 PM   #12
jar1087
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Not to hijack this thread, but I am also in need of a diagnosis. I have two Cascade and two Centennial plants, all second year and the varieties are planted separately. One of my Cascade developed what is seen in the picture below pretty early on in the year and it's now gotten significantly worse and looks to have spread to my other Cascade plant. I thought that it was maybe powdery mildew, but the leaves don't seem to have the telltale powdery feeling when I touch them. Thanks for the help!

Old 07-16-2010, 04:18 PM   #13
jar1087
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Sorry, image didn't attach.

Old 07-16-2010, 04:28 PM   #14
wyzazz
Recipes 

Possibly Verticillium wilt if it's a disease with the leaves curling upward like that. Are you fertilizing? If so how often?

And I'd like to see my 1.080 beers ready from grain to glass in a week, and served to me by red-headed twin penthouse pets wearing garter belts and fishnet stockings, with Irish accents, calling me "master luv gun," but we can't always get what we want can we? :)

Old 07-16-2010, 04:46 PM   #15
jar1087
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I've fertilized I believe twice this year, maybe three times. Each time I use one tablespoon of MiracleGrow in about 1.5 gallons of water and split it between two plants.

Old 07-16-2010, 04:48 PM   #16
zman
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyzazz View Post
I'm a pretty hands off kind of guy, I fertilize a few times during the season, I do amend my soil with manure, I weed & mulch my garden (with straw) but I definitely don't mess with them every day, or for that matter every week. I figure that they've thrived year after year without my interference so they should be able to keep doing so. I treat my garden just the same and it does fantastic every year. (knock on wood)

I'd keep watering, leave the mulch as it will suck up the excess nitrogen, and quit miffing with them. They should do fine in a week or two and start to "right" themselves. Or if you are a real "hands on" type of gardener, do as Andrea suggested and add some Iron to the soil, it should help them recover faster.
I took the mulch off. It is the somewhat thick bark mulch so I figured it was robbing the plants somehow. I tested the PH and all of them are in the 7.5 -8.0 range I am on the fence about the Ironite but I may get some. I am a hands on gardener. I have the hops ans SWMBO and I have 2 vegetable gardens that do require some regular care. With produce prices what they are these days I will be a hands on gardener

Old 07-16-2010, 05:17 PM   #17
Andrea
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 1 Posts

That yellow on the Cascade does look like fertilizer burn.
But don't know-- what are you growing your hops in?

Great resource with pic's--
USDA Hop Handbook 2010
http://ipm.wsu.edu/field/pdf/HopHandbook2010.pdf

Old 07-16-2010, 05:52 PM   #18
wyzazz
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jar1087 View Post
I've fertilized I believe twice this year, maybe three times. Each time I use one tablespoon of MiracleGrow in about 1.5 gallons of water and split it between two plants.
How often are you watering and do you amend your soil at all?

Old 07-16-2010, 05:52 PM   #19
jar1087
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I started them last spring in planters with organic MiracleGrow potting soil and in late spring transplanted them into the ground; pretty much standard northeastern US topsoil. I'm wondering why only one of the plants would get it and why it would appear to spread from one to the other. I should also mention that on both plants it appears to have spread from lower leaves to higher leaves, if that helps at all.

Old 07-16-2010, 05:54 PM   #20
jar1087
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I don't often water, only when we haven't had rain for at least 4 or 5 days. I haven't added anything to the soil, but did mulch around the hops this June to help keep weeds down.

Quick Reply