The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Hops Growing > texas hops

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-04-2008, 01:56 AM   #1
hobbsj
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default texas hops

so i'm in san antonio texas and have one chinook that survived a move and a couple of dogs who like to dig in my planters. its a first year and i was out ot town and not able to harvest. so here's my question. what do i do to in the winter? we get a couple of lite freezes in the winter and maybe one or two hard ones. we had an "ice storm" here that lasted 3 days several years ago that shut down the city to give you a bit of perspective. do i still cut them back and cover them with mulch? or, can i cut them back and try to let them grow throughout the season with the few bits of freezing temps not hurting them?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-04-2008, 01:38 PM   #2
david_42
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 131 Times on 124 Posts

The bines will die regardless of what you do. Hops go dormant and won't do much until after the Spring thaw.

Chicken wire laid over the hop patch will eliminate digging.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply