*Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway - Enter Now!*

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Hops Growing > Texas Hop Garden
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-07-2007, 04:20 PM   #21
EdWort
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
EdWort's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Bee Cave, Texas
Posts: 11,967
Liked 265 Times on 138 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Default

Yeah, it's 34 here in Austin. I'm glad I got all that work done yesterday.

Brewiz, you going to put up a trellis or something?

EdWort is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-07-2007, 04:33 PM   #22
Brewiz
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Brewiz's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Stockbridge, Ga
Posts: 964
Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdWort
Yeah, it's 34 here in Austin. I'm glad I got all that work done yesterday.

Brewiz, you going to put up a trellis or something?
I've got a rope suspended about 12' high with pulley's on each end and I run twine down to the plants. That way when it's time to harvest I just let the rope down and start picking.. Man I can't wait for some "Fresh Hopped Ale"
__________________
Do you ever see a motorcycle in front of Therapist's Office???
Insert Name Here Brew Club

Last edited by Brewiz; 04-07-2007 at 04:37 PM.
Brewiz is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-07-2007, 05:07 PM   #23
MA_Brewer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
MA_Brewer's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Northborough, MA
Posts: 376
Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewiz
I've got a rope suspended about 12' high with pulley's on each end and I run twine down to the plants. That way when it's time to harvest I just let the rope down and start picking.. Man I can't wait for some "Fresh Hopped Ale"
That's a great idea brewiz!

EdWort, how do you plan to harvest yours? 18' is pretty high up...
__________________
MA_Brewer is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-07-2007, 05:12 PM   #24
EdWort
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
EdWort's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Bee Cave, Texas
Posts: 11,967
Liked 265 Times on 138 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Default

Cool. If I had to do this again, I would use 3/4" conduit like the instructions said, though they cost twice as much ($4 compared to $2 per section).

I also would use 4 legs which will allow me to use more of the raised bed. I could get 8 twines up.

When I have to tip it over to harvest this year, I'll add a pulley to the top so can run up the Christmas lights. It will make it the last time I have to take it down, cause I use it to run up the hop twines next year.

EdWort is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-10-2007, 09:16 PM   #25
IluvBREW
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 1
Default Buying hops rhizomes

Hey guys - is there a place around austin that sells rhizomes? I assume these hops would grow decently around an arbor as well...

__________________
IluvBREW is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-10-2007, 09:38 PM   #27
CBBaron
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
CBBaron's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Cleveland
Posts: 2,787
Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdWort
Cool. If I had to do this again, I would use 3/4" conduit like the instructions said, though they cost twice as much ($4 compared to $2 per section).

I also would use 4 legs which will allow me to use more of the raised bed. I could get 8 twines up.

When I have to tip it over to harvest this year, I'll add a pulley to the top so can run up the Christmas lights. It will make it the last time I have to take it down, cause I use it to run up the hop twines next year.
Remember that when the bines climb that trellis there will be a very heavy weight that will also catch a great wind. I'm concerned that 1/2" conduit is not up to the task of holding up your bines during a summer storm.
Other than that it looks like a nice hops bed.
My future hops bed is under 2ft of snow so it will be a few weeks for the snow to melt and the soil to dry before I can plant.
Craig
__________________
CBBaron is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-10-2007, 09:49 PM   #28
EdWort
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
EdWort's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Bee Cave, Texas
Posts: 11,967
Liked 265 Times on 138 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBBaron
Remember that when the bines climb that trellis there will be a very heavy weight that will also catch a great wind. I'm concerned that 1/2" conduit is not up to the task of holding up your bines during a summer storm.
Other than that it looks like a nice hops bed.Craig
Thanks for the advice. the 1/2 conduit was the cheapest part of this project. I probably upgrade to 3/4" if it blows down.
__________________

Cheers,

EdWort

Haus Pale Ale, Bavarian Hefeweizen, Robust Porter, Oktoberfest Ale, Wounded Knee IPA, Rye IPA, BCB IPA, Kolsch, Apfelwein

EdWort is offline
jhw_murphy Likes This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-10-2007, 11:58 PM   #29
Brewiz
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Brewiz's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Stockbridge, Ga
Posts: 964
Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Default

Strung mine up today, now we will really be able to watch them grow.


__________________
Do you ever see a motorcycle in front of Therapist's Office???
Insert Name Here Brew Club
Brewiz is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-14-2007, 09:37 AM   #30
jnielsen
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
jnielsen's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: cleveland, oh
Posts: 22
Default

yes i cant wait to try my hand at gardening this year. with my love for beer and my wifes gardening knowledge i hope i can harvest a little something for the first year if not just get them started and wait for them to come back bigger and better each year. after the rhizomes come in the mail and i can break ground im going to make a photo grow journal ive got 2 of each coming in the mail this week:

cascade
golding
mt hood
centennial
northern brewer
willamette

cheers

jeremy

__________________
jnielsen is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply



Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
My Hop Garden homebeerbrewer Hops Growing 4 04-16-2012 07:13 PM
hop garden help rarjr Hops Growing 17 06-16-2009 07:50 AM
Sad day in the hop garden cuinrearview Hops Growing 7 06-10-2008 12:39 PM
hop garden? okbrewman General Techniques 4 03-26-2008 03:34 AM
hop garden? okbrewman Hops Growing 0 03-26-2008 03:22 AM