Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Hops Growing > Sun Requirements: Ohio

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-28-2012, 01:28 AM   #11
chemman14
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 88

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeSinge View Post
odinsgift

They send cuttings, tho on the BN thread some report rhizomes, with instructions how to grow them.
https://www.ars.usda.gov/sp2UserFile...0Questions.mht

Research reqirements requested are available on the website...takes some searching, and I don't remember where it was.
But it was something like 3-5 years for research, send them your results and notes.
Research could include 'would like to test endurance to cold weather winters and the resulting affect on yields and quality' (kinda what I used for Japanese and Chinese hops requested: Sorachi Ace, Shinsuwashi, Kirin II, Kitamidori).
Or 'study effects of hemisphere change and cold weather winters on resulting yields and quality' (which is what I'm using to request New Zealand and Australian hops next year: Pride Of Ringwood, Pacific Gem, Smoothcone, AlphAroma).
Don't expect 100% success with your cuttings, as I received only one of each, and managed to kill half of them, but hey .500 is AWESOME in baseball!
I got some cascades last year from this program. Two cuttings. I was able to succesfully root them both but one was killed during extreme heat. The one that survived has what looks like to be over a lb of hops on it
Old 08-08-2012, 05:04 AM   #12
odinsgift
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 110 Times on 88 Posts

Just sent my request for different varieties!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-18-2012, 01:19 AM   #13
BrunstuckyJoe
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by cscade View Post
I'll be planting my first rhizomes next year. Right now, I'm planning and will soon be building raised beds to prepare.

My prime spot, on the side of my garage, gets direct sun for 1/3 of the day. The morning is blocked by the garage itself, and then the evening is filtered through trees. Is this sufficient?

I could build a freestanding structure out in the yard to push the exposure up to 1/2 the day at most, but that's much less convenient and I'll only do so if the plants demand it.

Any input from seasoned growers is greatly appreciated!
I'm in Brunswick....if you wanna check out my hop plants and where they are....let me know.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply