Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!


Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Hops Growing > Starting a small hop farm!!!!
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-14-2012, 04:38 PM   #11
PariahVineyard
Registered User
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Halifax, PA
Posts: 114
Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Default

Yeah, most people help one day and then don't come back. I've been lucky that my bestfriend enjoys this project as much as me and continues to help out. Family also helps out a lot. Just try and find some cheap labor that can help out when you need more than just one or two sets of hands.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArrowheadHops View Post
Friends that come out to work in the field will usually find other things to do. The ones that come back are crazy and must have an eye kept on them at all times. Good Luck with the venture.
__________________
PariahVineyard is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-14-2012, 05:58 PM   #12
GVH_Dan
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
GVH_Dan's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: McFarland (Madison), WI
Posts: 921
Liked 160 Times on 114 Posts
Likes Given: 19

Default

Family...hah, I take my kids to out to work and one is gone within 5 minutes and doesn't come back until she hears the car door slam. The other kid though, a 10 year old girl who spends all her time knitting and crocheting can train bines faster than any adult.

One comment on your soil, consider amending the whole strip about 4 or more feet wide. It may be a tiny twig now, but that rhizome will grow into a crown a foot or more in diameter with rhizomes that stretch out several feet. So amending a little hole won't help you as much in the long run unless your soil tests showed it to be adequate.

On the pots...no, get them in the ground. While I will never, plant first and then set up the trellis, I understand. But if you leave them in pots, then there is the temptation next year to just leave them in for another year. Pretty soon you have lost several years of production. Get them in the ground but mark them well.

__________________
GVH_Dan is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-14-2012, 06:02 PM   #13
hopmomma
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: hayward, california
Posts: 99
Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Default

Gosh i wish you lived on the west coast so i could come play in your hop farm! Good luck!

__________________
hopmomma is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-14-2012, 06:08 PM   #14
odinsgift
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 491
Liked 111 Times on 89 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopmomma
Gosh i wish you lived on the west coast so i could come play in your hop farm! Good luck!
We're on the west coast, and you are welcome to play in our 1/2 acre
__________________
odinsgift is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-14-2012, 06:09 PM   #15
PleasantValleyHops
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: frederick, md
Posts: 358
Liked 22 Times on 19 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GVH_Dan
Family...hah, I take my kids to out to work and one is gone within 5 minutes and doesn't come back until she hears the car door slam. The other kid though, a 10 year old girl who spends all her time knitting and crocheting can train bines faster than any adult.

One comment on your soil, consider amending the whole strip about 4 or more feet wide. It may be a tiny twig now, but that rhizome will grow into a crown a foot or more in diameter with rhizomes that stretch out several feet. So amending a little hole won't help you as much in the long run unless your soil tests showed it to be adequate.

On the pots...no, get them in the ground. While I will never, plant first and then set up the trellis, I understand. But if you leave them in pots, then there is the temptation next year to just leave them in for another year. Pretty soon you have lost several years of production. Get them in the ground but mark them well.
We got a 14" auger for the holes and figured 2' down should be plenty! so its not really just a small hole. I understand def wanted to get them as much amended soil as possible to help them along the way
__________________
Carroll Brewing CompanyFrederick, Md.
PleasantValleyHops is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-14-2012, 07:33 PM   #16
ArrowheadHops
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 263
Liked 20 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 42

Default

I think what Dan is saying (I'd listen) the hole is more work and not going to add the amending needed. Add to the whole area and just plant in a small mound. Trust me after a year the hole you made will seem small.

__________________
ArrowheadHops is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-14-2012, 07:51 PM   #17
PleasantValleyHops
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: frederick, md
Posts: 358
Liked 22 Times on 19 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArrowheadHops
I think what Dan is saying (I'd listen) the hole is more work and not going to add the amending needed. Add to the whole area and just plant in a small mound. Trust me after a year the hole you made will seem small.
Im def listening to him for sure. I kinda have my arms twisted right now bc the only thing i have to use right now is the phd. So i kinda have to work w what i have deal going on right now. And amending a 4-5' section w a tiller and farm equip like that in my eyes would be quicker.

Now, since all i have to work with is the 14" auger. In your guys honest opinion. Is it worth going 24-30" deep. Or am i kinda wasting time. I will be mounding out of the hole as well. Or is 12-18" fine for depth if mound is prob going to be anywhere from 4-8" tall??
__________________
Carroll Brewing CompanyFrederick, Md.
PleasantValleyHops is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-14-2012, 07:59 PM   #18
PariahVineyard
Registered User
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Halifax, PA
Posts: 114
Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Default

If you are going to drill it won't matter what depth you go to because it will be quick and easy, unless you have shale or large rocks in the top 4' of your soil. For grapevines(i know it's not the same) we drill down as deep as possible to break up any hardpan and give the roots an easier time getting deep. I would think it would be a good idea for hops as well.

__________________
PariahVineyard is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-14-2012, 08:44 PM   #19
bloh4126
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: frederick, md
Posts: 23
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default

Yea you better watch your help when harvesting time comes around...I figure they can probably fit a pound in each cargo pocket...

__________________
bloh4126 is offline
jedimann74 Likes This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-15-2012, 04:43 AM   #20
PleasantValleyHops
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: frederick, md
Posts: 358
Liked 22 Times on 19 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloh4126
Yea you better watch your help when harvesting time comes around...I figure they can probably fit a pound in each cargo pocket...
I guess ill just have to tell everyone who harvest w me that theey have to bree we as well!!! Guess ill see where their ingredients come from
__________________
Carroll Brewing CompanyFrederick, Md.
PleasantValleyHops is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply



Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools




Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS