Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Hops Growing > Starting a small hop farm!!!!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-14-2012, 04:38 PM   #11
PariahVineyard
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Yeah, most people help one day and then don't come back. I've been lucky that my bestfriend enjoys this project as much as me and continues to help out. Family also helps out a lot. Just try and find some cheap labor that can help out when you need more than just one or two sets of hands.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArrowheadHops View Post
Friends that come out to work in the field will usually find other things to do. The ones that come back are crazy and must have an eye kept on them at all times. Good Luck with the venture.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-14-2012, 05:58 PM   #12
GVH_Dan
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 160 Times on 114 Posts
Likes Given: 19

Family...hah, I take my kids to out to work and one is gone within 5 minutes and doesn't come back until she hears the car door slam. The other kid though, a 10 year old girl who spends all her time knitting and crocheting can train bines faster than any adult.

One comment on your soil, consider amending the whole strip about 4 or more feet wide. It may be a tiny twig now, but that rhizome will grow into a crown a foot or more in diameter with rhizomes that stretch out several feet. So amending a little hole won't help you as much in the long run unless your soil tests showed it to be adequate.

On the pots...no, get them in the ground. While I will never, plant first and then set up the trellis, I understand. But if you leave them in pots, then there is the temptation next year to just leave them in for another year. Pretty soon you have lost several years of production. Get them in the ground but mark them well.

Old 06-14-2012, 06:02 PM   #13
hopmomma
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Gosh i wish you lived on the west coast so i could come play in your hop farm! Good luck!

Old 06-14-2012, 06:08 PM   #14
odinsgift
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 111 Times on 89 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopmomma
Gosh i wish you lived on the west coast so i could come play in your hop farm! Good luck!
We're on the west coast, and you are welcome to play in our 1/2 acre

Old 06-14-2012, 06:09 PM   #15
PleasantValleyHops
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 19 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GVH_Dan
Family...hah, I take my kids to out to work and one is gone within 5 minutes and doesn't come back until she hears the car door slam. The other kid though, a 10 year old girl who spends all her time knitting and crocheting can train bines faster than any adult.

One comment on your soil, consider amending the whole strip about 4 or more feet wide. It may be a tiny twig now, but that rhizome will grow into a crown a foot or more in diameter with rhizomes that stretch out several feet. So amending a little hole won't help you as much in the long run unless your soil tests showed it to be adequate.

On the pots...no, get them in the ground. While I will never, plant first and then set up the trellis, I understand. But if you leave them in pots, then there is the temptation next year to just leave them in for another year. Pretty soon you have lost several years of production. Get them in the ground but mark them well.
We got a 14" auger for the holes and figured 2' down should be plenty! so its not really just a small hole. I understand def wanted to get them as much amended soil as possible to help them along the way

Old 06-14-2012, 07:33 PM   #16
ArrowheadHops
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 42

I think what Dan is saying (I'd listen) the hole is more work and not going to add the amending needed. Add to the whole area and just plant in a small mound. Trust me after a year the hole you made will seem small.

Old 06-14-2012, 07:51 PM   #17
PleasantValleyHops
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArrowheadHops
I think what Dan is saying (I'd listen) the hole is more work and not going to add the amending needed. Add to the whole area and just plant in a small mound. Trust me after a year the hole you made will seem small.
Im def listening to him for sure. I kinda have my arms twisted right now bc the only thing i have to use right now is the phd. So i kinda have to work w what i have deal going on right now. And amending a 4-5' section w a tiller and farm equip like that in my eyes would be quicker.

Now, since all i have to work with is the 14" auger. In your guys honest opinion. Is it worth going 24-30" deep. Or am i kinda wasting time. I will be mounding out of the hole as well. Or is 12-18" fine for depth if mound is prob going to be anywhere from 4-8" tall??

Old 06-14-2012, 07:59 PM   #18
PariahVineyard
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

If you are going to drill it won't matter what depth you go to because it will be quick and easy, unless you have shale or large rocks in the top 4' of your soil. For grapevines(i know it's not the same) we drill down as deep as possible to break up any hardpan and give the roots an easier time getting deep. I would think it would be a good idea for hops as well.

Old 06-14-2012, 08:44 PM   #19
bloh4126
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Yea you better watch your help when harvesting time comes around...I figure they can probably fit a pound in each cargo pocket...

Old 06-15-2012, 04:43 AM   #20
PleasantValleyHops
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloh4126
Yea you better watch your help when harvesting time comes around...I figure they can probably fit a pound in each cargo pocket...
I guess ill just have to tell everyone who harvest w me that theey have to bree we as well!!! Guess ill see where their ingredients come from

Quick Reply

Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS