Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Hops Growing > Starting a small hop farm!!!!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-14-2012, 02:25 AM   #1
PleasantValleyHops
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 19 Posts

Default Starting a small hop farm!!!!

I will start this off by thanking everyone i have already Pm'd on here who has been more than helpful on everything. I Cant wait to share everything with you all as i grow!!!

Well I am officially starting a small commercial hop farm. Im not claiming to be any expert at all so any advise will be given a good thought. Obviously im starting it a little late but w how the weathers been in the frederick md area im fine w planting this late. As far irrigation goes ill be using 4-300 gal totes w drip irrigation off that. I know people talk about building a trellis befor u ever plant but im aware of the possible damages and ready for them. So we r planting all rhizomes this year and trellis will be winter to early spring., so i set a budget and went from there with what i can do.. i knew i could only spend a certain amount on rhizomes and Paul from Willamettevalleyfarms.com was great.he worked with me and narrowed down what i can be successful with and what they had left.. ordering rhizoms in june arent that easy!!!! this is what we decided with,

we are going to start with
1000 Cascade
100 Centennial
300 Magnum
200 Gelena
For a grand total of 1600 Rhizomes!!!! Below is what i came home to on tuesday after work.. all bags were labeled well and look great.. sorry, these are the only pictures i have due to working 14 hours that day so all i wanted to do was relax for a bit..

image-461944502.jpg

image-100035973.jpg

now i know i will prob get mixed feeling but im going with a post hole digger Pto attachment and drilling each hole for my precious rhizomes.. i figure the extra work will be worth it.

Now i need guidance and encouragement!!!!

Thanks For reading

Cheers
Dan

People Like This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-14-2012, 02:33 AM   #2
PariahVineyard
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Good luck man. Did you get all 1600 in those 2 boxes?

Old 06-14-2012, 02:47 AM   #3
odinsgift
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 111 Times on 89 Posts

If you are just putting those in the ground, I would definitely start them in pots.

Old 06-14-2012, 02:20 PM   #4
GVH_Dan
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 160 Times on 114 Posts
Likes Given: 19

Best of luck to you. Say goodbye to your social life...except for friends that come out to work in the field.

Old 06-14-2012, 02:51 PM   #5
PleasantValleyHops
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GVH_Dan
Best of luck to you. Say goodbye to your social life...except for friends that come out to work in the field.
Hahaa. Im married w not much of a social life anyways. I have a few friends that i think will want to come check out/possibly help tend the fields!!!

As far as the pots thing. Not doing pots bc then next yr ill still be doing the same thing im doing this year and w using a phd and using composted soil in the hole. Its pretty much like using pots but the crown will be able to establish itself in the rest of the earth verses transplanting next yr and making them figure out where their at again. Pictures to come prob monday of the weekends progress!

Old 06-14-2012, 02:54 PM   #6
PariahVineyard
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GVH_Dan View Post
While Dan has been doing this longer and knows more than I do, I am going to argue his statement.

We bought 26 acres last September that needed a lot of work, and then this year planted 810 grapevines and 150 hop plants, with 450 more on their way. We still go out to parties and happy hour, it is just less than we used to. By we I mean my fiancé and me. I would think that if you planted 5000 you wouldn't have a life anymore but as long as you work hard on the days you are working you can still have a social life. Just make sure you have the right tools, and as Dan said some friends to help out . We've wasted too much time using inadequate equipment.

Old 06-14-2012, 03:03 PM   #7
PleasantValleyHops
Recipes 

Thanks. I didnt want to challenge since i really dont know yet. But either way im looking forward to it. If at some point i hit 5000 plants then id assume that would be close to a full time job. As well yield enough to fund it as a full time job!! For now. Just less sidework! Which i rather not do anyway. And my wife prob would argue the fact that if im working that means im not sitting around wasting time!

Old 06-14-2012, 03:26 PM   #8
PariahVineyard
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

I hope your field is close to home. Ours is 40 mins away so it gets annoying to commute there every weekend and a few nights a week.

The rhizomes I ordered from the same place you did come on Tuesday. We are going to pot them so it will be a nice comparison to the ones you plant into the ground.

Looking forward to seeing more picture and hearing about the progress.

Old 06-14-2012, 03:31 PM   #9
PleasantValleyHops
Recipes 

Its actually at my parents property. Its a 50/50 venture and i pass by everyday on my way home from work. But either way its a 15-20 drive from the house. Speaking of work. I better get back to it before the boss realizes it!!!

Old 06-14-2012, 04:19 PM   #10
ArrowheadHops
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 42

Friends that come out to work in the field will usually find other things to do. The ones that come back are crazy and must have an eye kept on them at all times. Good Luck with the venture.

Quick Reply

Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS