Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Hops Growing > starting a hop farm 2 acres to start..then double every year till i hit 32 acres

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-07-2013, 10:23 PM   #51
rudds67
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 8 Posts

If its your first time..start with a 1/4 acre for fun..see how you like it..grow a few different types...but its a ton of work...I think I will be moving into the growing/ brokering for the organic Malting barley...there's more money in malting barley then hops.. I will keep my 2 acres and maybe go bigger down the road but growing hops is very manual labor intensive.. growing the barley for the brewerys isn't.. I have already contracted out 100 acres for 2 row and 6 row with an addition 300. Acres when I find the buyers. and I did all this with a few phone calls and I will be growing 15 to 30 acres on the farm here next to the hops.. I'm building a custom malting floor here as well but have a few malting houses that I may be using.

Old 01-08-2013, 01:35 AM   #52
BWN
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 3

With NY's farm brewery law barley is going to make you a lot of money there will
Be a huge demand for NY grown barley.

Old 01-08-2013, 02:17 AM   #53
abSchenk
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Wow you guys thank you ALL so much for this incredible & helpful insight & so quickly!!! I think this is more support & info than I've found in many, many hours of research and number crunching. I will look at malted barley for sure & perhaps a smaller hop yard. I'll keep you posted and follow up soon! Varmintman in IF, I'll stay in touch thank you for your offer., Dan thank you & I may want to know more about your Wolf contacts, I'll contact you. Tyler, we're on 20 acres near Fox Creek between Victor & Driggs, tons of water rights, cool spot.

- - -

Not all chemicals are bad. Without chemicals such as hydrogen and oxygen, for example, there would be no way to make water, a vital ingredient in beer. ~Dave Barry

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-08-2013, 02:37 AM   #54
GVH_Dan
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 156 Times on 111 Posts
Likes Given: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudds67 View Post
If its your first time..start with a 1/4 acre for fun..
Quote:
Originally Posted by abSchenk View Post
...& perhaps a smaller hop yard.
In our classes we break down the financials for starting at an acre. Same with our growers, we require they start with an acre but never let them start with more than 2.

It is a HUGE investment in time and money. True, some of the costs scale up with size (# of rhizomes, amount of compost, amount of fertilizer) but others don't. For example, 1/4 acre will have more than 1/4 the number of poles than a single acre. When you rent equipment to install the poles, the rental costs will be the same. Digging a well will cost pretty much the same for a 1/4 acre vs. a full acre. The time to weed 1/4 acre is only a little less than 1 acre because you get in a groove.

But if you go above 2 acres...well, we've had a grower or two get so far in over their heads that they just surrendered and gave up. You don't want to get in the situation where you hate yourself for undertaking such an exciting endeavor.

Contact me at anytime. Just PM me on this forum and I can send you an e-mail address. Or just google...

Old 01-08-2013, 02:50 AM   #55
abSchenk
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by GVH_Dan

In our classes we break down the financials for starting at an acre. Same with our growers, we require they start with an acre but never let them start with more than 2.

It is a HUGE investment in time and money. True, some of the costs scale up with size (# of rhizomes, amount of compost, amount of fertilizer) but others don't. For example, 1/4 acre will have more than 1/4 the number of poles than a single acre. When you rent equipment to install the poles, the rental costs will be the same. Digging a well will cost pretty much the same for a 1/4 acre vs. a full acre. The time to weed 1/4 acre is only a little less than 1 acre because you get in a groove.

But if you go above 2 acres...well, we've had a grower or two get so far in over their heads that they just surrendered and gave up. You don't want to get in the situation where you hate yourself for undertaking such an exciting endeavor.

Contact me at anytime. Just PM me on this forum and I can send you an e-mail address. Or just google...
Dan thank you, we'll be in touch for sure!

- - -

Not all chemicals are bad. Without chemicals such as hydrogen and oxygen, for example, there would be no way to make water, a vital ingredient in beer. ~Dave Barry

Old 01-08-2013, 02:36 PM   #56
TyTanium
Recipes 

Liked 549 Times on 387 Posts
Likes Given: 418

Quote:
Originally Posted by abSchenk View Post
Tyler, we're on 20 acres near Fox Creek between Victor & Driggs, tons of water rights, cool spot.
Awesome! One of my favorite areas in the country. I have fond memories fly fishing as a kid with hops on one side of the river and barley on another. Seems to be mostly barley now (at least where I've fished), so it'd be awesome to see hops again.

My grandparents lived over the pass in Wilson until last year, now my parents are looking at places in Victor.

Also, Snake River brewery has hops growing around their brewery, so they might have some insight into specific varieties for your location.

Old 01-08-2013, 03:47 PM   #57
Varmintman
Recipes 

Liked 653 Times on 409 Posts
Likes Given: 820

AbShenck

Sigh as much as I would love to help my wife reminded me of my fear of heights. Nope I will have to withdraw my offer but I will bring up some beer someday and hope that you will help me drink it while I admire your hops.

Ty I hope your folks buy fairly soon if they want to move out here. The millionares in Jackson are getting run out of town by the billionares and housing all around is going through the roof. Heck even down to Swan Valley things are going through the roof.

I know Grand Teton Brewing have a few beers that everything comes from around the valley. I love some of their beers and everytime I am there I stop.

Dang I hope we can get some hops going here and perhaps a small malster plant.

Old 01-08-2013, 04:26 PM   #58
TyTanium
Recipes 

Liked 549 Times on 387 Posts
Likes Given: 418

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varmintman View Post
Ty I hope your folks buy fairly soon if they want to move out here. The millionares in Jackson are getting run out of town by the billionares and housing all around is going through the roof. Heck even down to Swan Valley things are going through the roof.
Yeah, I hear ya. We're in neither crowd. It's quite ridiculous. I miss the good old days when you could actually find parking in Jackson.

Quote:
I know Grand Teton Brewing have a few beers that everything comes from around the valley. I love some of their beers and everytime I am there I stop.
Agreed - some delicious local beers. Their distributor actually ships to a few places here in Chicago, so I can get most of their releases. Not the same as fresh at the brewery, but still good.

Old 01-08-2013, 04:34 PM   #59
GVH_Dan
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 156 Times on 111 Posts
Likes Given: 19

Quote:
AbShenck

Sigh as much as I would love to help my wife reminded me of my fear of heights. Nope I will have to withdraw my offer but I will bring up some beer someday and hope that you will help me drink it while I admire your hops.
Did you know that weeds grow down at ground level and require bucketloads of work to pull. Don't worry, there are plenty of tasks you can help them with that keep your feet planted firmly on the ground.

Old 01-08-2013, 11:28 PM   #60
lostfish
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Any reason not to let the goats/sheep rummage through the hop field and eat all of the weeds/lower leaves of the plants? Seems like a backsaver.

Quick Reply