Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Hops Growing > Started to pick 1st year hops

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-26-2010, 02:11 PM   #1
lurker18
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Default Started to pick 1st year hops

Well I was kind of forced into it. After massive wind storms took down 2 of the varieties, broken strings, and very hot dry winds were browning the hops. Fuggles smells great, got about half to 3/4 lb wet weight from these. Zeus was really starting to brown off and the cones were very open and loose, but they smelled pretty grassy when I was picking them. Hopefully this is normal for them, got over a pound wet weight. Centenials were the most interesting. I had several, probably 20 to 30 cones out of 3/4 lb wet weight, that looked like the cone started, then stretched a little, put out new leaves, and then another cone. And these were massive, three times larger than the other cones. Does this often happen? I am not a cousin consumer, but they looked like that.
Columbus will probably be a few days away, and then the rest will fight to make it in before frost. Fingers crossed.
Will put up a few pics later.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-27-2010, 02:55 AM   #2
cuinrearview
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

The "leafy" cones are called angels. My cascade and Zues have done it, but not this year. Perfectly normal and you can pluck the leaves if you want but not necessary.

Zues and Columbus are considered to be the same variety by the PNW growers from what I have read. My Zues are late harvesters, about two weeks behind the cascade. The cones are very tight and dense. Last year, the first, they were similar except there were some pretty giant cones that kind of got loose looking. They still were dense as far as weight went.

Good luck and keep growing!

Looking forward to brewing some beer

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply