Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Hops Growing > Spontaneous hops death

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-22-2013, 12:54 PM   #11
shadows69
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 4

One thing I would like to point out here. I to use spent gains on my hop plants. The thing to keep in mind is the spent grains will hold the moisture in the soil for a longer period of time. Also, when you put down your spent grain make sure they are room temp and not warm. I would say your over watering, discontinue water for a while and I think you will be ok. I have some brown leaves in my hop plants but the rest just keeps growing and I am getting hops out of my second year plants.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-24-2013, 02:40 PM   #12
Experibrew
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Likes Given: 9

Good to know that things will come back again, if given time perhaps. I've seen that High Alpha Hops like Nugget and Zeus have been fairly disease resistant and also pretty "overwatering" tolerant, too.

But as not everyone has these varieties - or maybe these aren’t assumed as desirable to some home brewers (maybe not as exotic), or you’ve got a supreme hankering for a tasty Brambling Cross hop, but East Kent Golding is about as close as you’re able to get due to the import laws on these rhizomes... you want to make sure you always put your best hop (green) foot forward.

That long phrase-mess said, I am aware that in certain climates/Zones, depending on the level of sand in your soil and tilling it in, that putting down compacted sugary pounds of spent grains attracts from their sugars perhaps unwanted gatherings of ants, ear wigs and likely other pesky things like spores and molds when baked and watered in the air and in the hot summer sun.

My advice is to compost these and hold off using them until prior to the next season. An outdoor composting bin is a great investment for just about any homebrewer & new hop growing aficionado. The level of high temperature container treatment of this compost in degrees Fahrenheit, from baking inside with help from the direct hot sun is a plus to eliminating those concerns.

Another idea that I highly recommend is to make bread (start another hobby) and share it with your friends. Whatever you don’t eat can be composted, too, so there’s even less worry. There’s even a past interesting article about uses for spent grains: http://growlermag.com/spent-but-valu...g-spent-grain/

Enjoy and happy hoppy growing.

Old 07-27-2013, 02:33 AM   #13
VonRunkel
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Yea, I composted a bunch of grain last year for my garden and it has worked miracles for my veggies. I guess I was impatient and just wanted to continue the life cycle of beer.

Oh well, lesson learned.

Quick Reply