Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway - Last Weekend to Enter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Hops Growing > Spider Mites or Just Spiders?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-15-2008, 02:36 PM   #1
ChrisS68
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Spider Mites or Just Spiders?

Yesterday I noticed that the undersides of many leaves have some webbing near the base. Within each web, there's one of these:

It's markings look like a two-spotted spider mite, but I'm not sure because:
1. I can see it
2. The shape seems more like an actual spider than a spider mite.

Though, after seeing pictures of spider mite damage, that might explain some of the issues I'm having

Also saw this guy running around. Not sure what he is, but something tells me he might be bad news. Think he might be a flying insect

On a different note, I'm worried my Sterlings are getting ready to give up the ghost. Between whatever nutrient deficency they're battling, and being devoured by insects, they look like they're on death's door. I don't know if it's the excessive rains or what, though my other plants don't look nearly as bad. I haven't been able to find a place that carries iron yet. Maybe I'll try to give them some sulfur via Epsom Salts because I happen to have some on hand. I'm afraid to give them a normal fertilizer, but I'm also afraid that if I don't figure something out soon, they'll be done for.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-15-2008, 02:42 PM   #2
Dig
Recipes 

First pic is a spider.

Second pic is of an insect that is like a small version of a cicada (you know the ones that make a ton of noise in the summer up in trees). They don't do a ton of damage, but they are piercing/sucking critters. Not much you can do for them since they are so mobile.

From those pics of the leaves your plants look mostly healthy.

Old 06-15-2008, 02:54 PM   #3
ChrisS68
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts

Thanks,
These pics are of my Saaz, which interestingly enough is doing the best of all my plants. No real worries with this one.

Spiders are obviously a good thing, so I'll hold off on spraying. Like you said, unfortunately, it's likely the insects doing the most damage are probably too mobile for sprays to do any good. I have yet to catch the culprits, but whatever is dining on my plants, they seem to really like the Hallertauers and Sterlings. Despite taking a beating, thusfar the Hallertauers are strong enough that they seem to be holding ground. Not sure the Sterlings though. They don't look like they have much fight left in them. Guess we'll see...

Old 06-15-2008, 03:09 PM   #4
Dig
Recipes 

Catch them if you want, but from the picture I know what that insect is. I don't know the name, but we have tons of them here in Austin. Have you tried some neem oil or a light dusting of Sulfer?

and FYI spider mites are much, much smaller then that spider

Old 06-16-2008, 01:24 PM   #5
ChrisS68
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts

Alrighty then. I wasn't disagreeing with you anywhere.
Yesterday I spotted a small grasshopper sitting on one of my plants. I'd be willing to bet he and his buddies are the ones that have been munching on my plants. Further inspection also turned up a few aphids on one plant. Sheesh, it's like ringing the dinner bell.

Quick Reply