Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Hops Growing > South Florida Hop Growing

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-07-2012, 01:39 AM   #41
durandf
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Hops in Florida

I live in Pompano...just North a couple of miles of Sunrise and am very encouraged about this. I just ordered 5 Rhizomes and plan to plant these....thanks fo rthe post

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-07-2012, 11:36 AM   #42
CourtHouseBrewing
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I too want to try in central Florida. Thanks for the tips. I have the perfect spot picked out if SWMBO let's me have a small spot in her garden. I hear home grown hops have much more flavor than the LHBS can carry.

Old 03-07-2012, 01:11 PM   #43
edecambra
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 48 Times on 42 Posts
Likes Given: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by durandf View Post
I live in Pompano...just North a couple of miles of Sunrise and am very encouraged about this. I just ordered 5 Rhizomes and plan to plant these....thanks fo rthe post
Glad to hear you are inspired, let me know which varieties produce cones. As Ive mentioned in the thread my cascades have grown like gangbusters but the nuggets did squat.

Morning sun and you should be gold, especially with cascades, they grow like weeds.

Old 03-07-2012, 02:52 PM   #44
CourtHouseBrewing
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by edecambra View Post
Glad to hear you are inspired, let me know which varieties produce cones. As Ive mentioned in the thread my cascades have grown like gangbusters but the nuggets did squat.

Morning sun and you should be gold, especially with cascades, they grow like weeds.
Yes I have read your posts and think I have the perfect spot. I just ordered from Williams.
2- CASCADE HOP RHIZOME
2- CHINOOK HOP RHIZOME

I had them shipped USPS so I hope I get them in good condition.

It sounds like I should get them in the ground soon and give the roots some time before the hot days of summer. I also hope I might get a jump on the growth cycle as the days are changing soon. I think most of the cold snaps are behind us now.

When would you plant in my case?

I have a second floor balcony above the garden I can throw a line down 14' for them to grow up. But,
I like your idea of weaving the trellis and keeping everything easy to pick.

Old 03-07-2012, 03:59 PM   #45
edecambra
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 48 Times on 42 Posts
Likes Given: 19

Honestly, I would do the line down from the balcony. The only thing easy about picking my hops is that they are all in front of me. When you pick them it seems best to chop them down and pick the hops after you have chopped the bines, and a line would make that super easy. Untangling the hops off the trellis is not a huge pain, but not cake either. I just don't have a way to tie the lines to the roof, and I didn't think my HOA would like long bines up the side of the building (in a condo)

I would go ahead a plant them now. I let them grow through the "winter" and just cut them back a few weeks ago. I've yet to see any growth but I know they are healthy and kicking, the crown is HUGE underground.

Old 03-07-2012, 04:08 PM   #46
CourtHouseBrewing
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Great, Thanks I'll let you know how it works out. I should have them this weekend I think.

Old 03-07-2012, 05:46 PM   #47
sweetcell
Swollen Member
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 653 Times on 486 Posts
Likes Given: 254

Quote:
Originally Posted by edecambra View Post
When you pick them it seems best to chop them down and pick the hops after you have chopped the bines, and a line would make that super easy. Untangling the hops off the trellis is not a huge pain, but not cake either. I just don't have a way to tie the lines to the roof, and I didn't think my HOA would like long bines up the side of the building (in a condo)
dunno if it's different for a nice warm place like FL, but i've read that it is best to leave the bines in place after harvesting. once they've done flowering (and we've picked the cones), the plants get ready for winter by storing up energy in the roots. the bines will eventually die back, and can be cleaned up once they're mostly wilted. if you chop down the entire plant at harvest, it won't have time to transfer energy from flowering to root storage.

but maybe your warm location the plants don't hibernate, so they don't need that post-harvest-store-up-for-winter period?

Drinking: a farmhouse with ECY08 & brett blend
Fermenting: wet-hopped harvest ale x 2, sour cherry mead, imperial chocolate stout and its not-so-small second runnings beer
Aging: oud bruin & a few other sours, acerglyn, a BDSA

Old 03-08-2012, 08:03 AM   #48
KeyWestBrewing
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 452 Times on 364 Posts
Likes Given: 541

im born in raised in south fl and ive done plenty of landscaping. the thing that works so well about our growth patterns is that they tend to stay vegetative almost year round with multiple flowering periods for certain plants..... so all in all, im not surprised as a fellow floridian it could be done. But thank you for proving it and giving me the inspiration to follow suit

Old 03-08-2012, 08:07 AM   #49
KeyWestBrewing
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 452 Times on 364 Posts
Likes Given: 541

also as a tip....the starbucks down here has a basketin their shop with bags of coffee grounds labeled 'Grounds for your Garden'......its all the coffee grounds they go through and they GIVE THEM AWAY 4 FREE. They are really good for your soil for many reasons and did i say free?

Old 03-08-2012, 08:06 PM   #50
Thejiro
Recipes 

I would like to chime in i also am growin in fl i had luck getting sime cascades to grow and produce. Not as good as op bc of a few mistakes in judgenent i made which i am rectifying this year.

@ keywestbrewer
I grew up in kw myself i sent some rhizomes to my dad but he didnt plant them till like may or june and had very little growth out of them. Im interested to see how they do this year.

Quick Reply