Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Hops Growing > South Florida Hop Growing

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-10-2011, 11:42 PM   #21
edecambra
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 45 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 15

I am not sure why they are a bit brown. It may be the heat. As you know it is still pretty damn hot in the shade at 2 o'clock, but I haven't found the cause yet.

I am still learning too as far as overlapping. I have seen some videos online of people up north and it seems like they let them grow rampant after a bit because they are too hard to tame if you don't have a proper trellis system (with one rope straight up), and they use the hops and brew good beer (so they say).

I don't fertilize regularly. mostly compost, or I should say pre compost, like coffee grounds. I used a long term slow release fertilizer initially, a vegetable fertilizer. I figured that since I will be using them for consumption I was a bit skeptical how a strictly bloom fertilizer would affect (or harm) me or the beer.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-11-2011, 12:25 PM   #22
GetSudz
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by edecambra View Post
I figured that since I will be using them for consumption I was a bit skeptical how a strictly bloom fertilizer would affect (or harm) me or the beer.
I don't have much of a green thumb myself, but my brother "reads" plants better than he does books. Being a landscaper helps too.
He said that when some plants flower, they "shift" from a growth stage to a flower stage and need different nutrients during this time frame.

The 3 numbers on the fertilizer indicate Nitrogen-Phosporous-Potassium.
HIGH nitrogen will stimulate growth, but when plants start flowering they need HIGHer Phosporous fertilizers.

Old 12-03-2011, 10:42 PM   #23
edecambra
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Ok, so I harvested again at the end of october, about an OZ dried of Cascades and I decided to cut the bines all the way back to get new growth from both plants, and mid way through November they started sprouting and growing strong. I have the bines on my cascade sprouting burrs again, in December!! I just thought it was pretty cool, and the beautiful South Florida Winters aren't just for snow birds!

And of course pics, Cascade left and nugget right:

Cascade Burrs:

and some small cascade cones, too:

Old 12-03-2011, 11:55 PM   #24
Jamminjoenapo
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

You sir have given me faith that I can grow down here. I really want to, but I don't know how long I am going to be living at this house. Once I move to a more permanent house I will try growing. I might try getting my dad who has the green thumb in the family (and also a homebrewer) to try growing here soon since he always grows tomatoes and other vegetables. Thanks for the information and can't wait to see how everything turns out next year.

Old 01-14-2012, 07:03 AM   #25
niceupmytown
Recipes 

Thanks edecambra, great post. Keep us updated, I'm searching online for rhizomes in another tab because your work.

Old 01-14-2012, 03:19 PM   #26
edecambra
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

I appreciate the well wishes. To update, with the significantly decreased daylight, from what is already a (relatively) short day, the crop is low and almost no lupulin production on the few cones i have. I figured I will let them grow for root health and cut them back in the spring when the days get longer.

Also if you are looking for rhizomes, look for american type cascade derivatives: cents and other similar varieties, as I think they will do the best. My nugget has yet to produce any cones at all but the cascades are usually pretty hearty.

good luck and it is easier than you think.

Old 01-18-2012, 05:33 PM   #27
rgarry
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 14 Posts

Just curious if they are still growing. An update would be great.

Old 01-22-2012, 03:36 AM   #28
edecambra
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Hey check my post right above, that was a week ago. There has been no change since then and I don't expect anything to really happen until the spring. That said, I'll keep everyone posted for sure if they take off sooner.

Old 01-22-2012, 01:07 PM   #29
rgarry
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 14 Posts

I'm going to give it a try. When do you recommend to plant them? I would assume spring but wanted to check.

Old 01-22-2012, 05:10 PM   #30
edecambra
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

I want to preface this by saying I am by no means a gardener or really have any good experience with planting, and most of what I have planted in the past has died (except for these hops, maybe I care for them more out of brewing love). I think spring would be best, to let the roots get established and deep enough before the heat sets in, that way they can get good access to water. Also make sure they aren't planted too close to other plants that will compete for nutrients with them, and use fresh soil and some fertilizer of your choice (I don't know what works best) Good luck and remember, afternoon shade!! Its too hot here

Quick Reply