Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Hops Growing > South Florida Hop Growing

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-17-2013, 07:12 PM   #261
KeyWestBrewing
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 477 Times on 380 Posts
Likes Given: 586

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrickyDick

I think I heard that too. I just recently got a new oven. I think it has halogen lights. It was definitely hotter than 100. Was uncomfortably warm to remove the pans with bare hands. Maybe the pans are absorbing the heat and feel warmer than the air? I don't know.

I think I'll use my maverick grill thermometer next time and see what's happening.

TD
Could be since the pans definitely keep absorbing and retaining the heat. Though of the light does heat to only 100f then technically that's the hottest the pans could get. Gettin a bit off topic here lol.

EAC - 5/2/14

Growing Hops in Key West, FL....

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f92/casc...y-west-333466/

Primary : Mosaic Cream ale
Primary : Simcoe Cream Ale
Primary : Pumpkin Pie Cider
On Tap : French Oak Muddy Waters Bourbon Chocolate Stout, Edicion Regionales Inglaterra

*Member: The HBT Sweaty Fat Guys Cigar club

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-17-2013, 09:35 PM   #262
whitehause
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 140 Times on 103 Posts
Likes Given: 28

I have a Electrolux convection oven that has a dehydrator setting. I'm gona give it a try tomorrow. It's about 95 here in PA, and I keep the house about 80 so I don't think the oven will be doing much of the work, but the convection fan should speed things up.

Primary 1- BM's Cream of three crops.
Primary 2- Paleface Scalper
Primary 3- Monks Reward (Kreuzberg)
Kegged - Honey Badger, Heady topper clone 1, Indian Paleface Scalper
Bottled- Skeptical Dog winter Lager, Hell's Belgian, Old Dutch Hiefer Hefe,Aphlewein, Chocolate Thunder porter, Jacked up lantern

Old 07-19-2013, 03:35 PM   #263
Dusk2dust
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

My plants are covered with good sized cones, I need to get a little scale so I can see how much I'm actually getting off these things.

img_20130719_103140.jpg   img_20130719_103151.jpg   img_20130719_103205.jpg   img_20130719_103219.jpg  

Old 07-30-2013, 12:17 PM   #264
jbear68
Recipes 

Hey everyone, I am a first time grower (of anything). My Columbus plant is looking quite sad after all of the rain we have had in the past week in Central Florida. Any suggestions on a remedy would be great. Almost the entire plant is looking like the pictures and quite a few of the leaves are dying off. I was thinking it was powdery mildew due to all of the rain but would like to be certain. Thank you for the help! Please save my plant!

columbus-hop-1.jpg   columbus-hop-2.jpg  

Old 07-30-2013, 02:21 PM   #265
KeyWestBrewing
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 477 Times on 380 Posts
Likes Given: 586

Has it been sunny between the rain? Its hard to tell from the pics but leaves look burnt. Might just be from the sun baking the plant while the leaves were wet. If your worried it might be something else you can always use Organocide. I use the stuff for all my plants and it works great.

EAC - 5/2/14

Growing Hops in Key West, FL....

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f92/casc...y-west-333466/

Primary : Mosaic Cream ale
Primary : Simcoe Cream Ale
Primary : Pumpkin Pie Cider
On Tap : French Oak Muddy Waters Bourbon Chocolate Stout, Edicion Regionales Inglaterra

*Member: The HBT Sweaty Fat Guys Cigar club

Old 07-30-2013, 04:30 PM   #266
jbear68
Recipes 

KW thanks for the assistance, it has been quite cloudy this entire week. How often should Organocide be applied? At least I have some cones!

hopsa.jpg   hopsb.jpg   hopsc.jpg  

Old 08-05-2013, 08:08 PM   #267
Brewmech
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 66 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Harvested the first of the columbus. Dried it in the garage and got 8.5g of hops!

Cheers!

Old 08-10-2013, 06:54 PM   #268
TrickyDick

Recipes 

Liked 133 Times on 107 Posts
Likes Given: 47

Ended up harvesting a half ounce each (dried) off the Cascade and the Chinook plants. My pulley setup failed and its been a few weeks since I have had a chance to convince a friend to bring a ladder and help fix. I simply removed the pulleys, and ran the wire through the double eye bolts. Seems to work fine.

Plants mostly dried and dead except for a couple of bines on three of four plants, one still going great (Chinook). I have been neglecting them for sure, but thought with all the rain that they'd be fine. nope lost about an ounce of hops or slightly more on the Sterling and Columbus plants combined. Wish I had a Centennial plant, but oh well. Maybe next year I'll try to see what I can come up with as far as sterling crowns.

All in all I don't think I'm doing too badly for the first year out. Need to connect a makeshift irrigation setup from a hose bib and what-not for more regular watering during the HOT months.

I think I'm going to get more cones off the Chinook plant for sure. I might need to abandon the fourth Sterling plant as the location is next to a AC handler and the hot air blows on the vines and before they all dried out, was looking stressed in the part of the plant in the path of the airflow from the air handler unit.

TD

Old 01-25-2014, 06:05 PM   #269
Naples_FL_Homebrew
Recipes 

Just wondering if anyone has left their vines alone post harvest, instead of trimming them down, to see if they need to be trimmed? What with the year round growing season everyone seems to be able to take advantage of and all.

Also, I read on the U. of Minnesota Hops studies page, http://sroc.cfans.umn.edu/People/Fac...Hops/index.htm
that the tall hops produce a different taste than the low hanging ones. Has anyone noticed this in FL?

Old 01-25-2014, 06:55 PM   #270
TrickyDick

Recipes 

Liked 133 Times on 107 Posts
Likes Given: 47

I harvested mine a while back.

I had four plants. Two did OK. One did great. One did poor.

I left the now dead or mosty dead foliage on two. On developed fungus or mold so I trimmed and treated.

I'm going to cut back the last play with foliage soon and re mulch and fertilize.

Curious about how to tell if the plant is still alive. One has a tiny green leaf. Others look like dead twigs sticking through ground.

TD

Quick Reply