Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Hops Growing > South Florida Hop Growing

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-10-2011, 12:00 PM   #11
Erroneous
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 25 Posts

I live in central florida and figured growing hops was a fool's errand. Glad to hear it can be done; please keep us up to date on brewing with them! Maybe in the future I'll plant a rhizome on each wall of my house to see what kind of lighting situation works best. I have an easy bloom plant sensor so if I ever do I can get some scientific data on temperature humidity and sunlight.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-13-2011, 02:12 AM   #12
edecambra
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 54 Times on 47 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Update

I just brewed with my first harvested cascade hops. I harvested the hops that had grown and matured about a month ago ( mid august) because some were getting really brown. They smell great and have good lupulin development, but the yield was a bit low. After they dried out in my kitchen for a few days, the weight was about 1.25 oz.

I have let them continue to grow and it looks like I will be getting a second harvest, maybe of similar or slightly smaller size as my first harvest. They are looking pretty out of control though and I might cut them back to get some more controlled and tame growth out of them. I will keep everyone here posted.

The nugget bines are forming cones but very few. The ones that have formed though smell great!

and for those who love photos:

Old 09-13-2011, 02:48 PM   #13
HopsJunkie
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Niiiiiice. They look lupulicious!

Generally, 1 pound grain = .75 pounds LME = .6 pounds DME. - Yooper

Old 10-03-2011, 04:04 AM   #14
greenbirds
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Very cool, thanks for the thread. I have tried growing hops in Gainesville without success, but then again I don't consider myself to have much of a green thumb.

Old 10-03-2011, 10:36 PM   #15
edecambra
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Latest update:

So the saga continues. I brewed with the first harvest from my cascades. It was a Wheat beer, and I ended up using a peach tea to give it a peach aroma. As for the hops, they came out to about 1.25 oz like I mentioned above. The OG on the brew was about 1.045 and the balance is pretty good, nice crisp bitterness, that borders on sharp bitterness. I would guess that they are somewhere in the neighborhood of 5.5-6 AA level. They were pure bitterness hops, as I just wanted to see how significant the lupulin levels were. All in all, good hops!

I am pretty sure I will get another harvest, and again some photos for those who are curious:

and

again cascades on the left, nugget on the right. I think I might want to plant some Centennial, if anyone is wanting to do a rhizome swap!!

cascades!!

more cascades

and more

Here is a photo that I was looking for some help on, there are several of these guys, kinda brown and burnt looking, that makes me wonder when I need to harvest. There are also many that are very green too and young, any thoughts as to what might be damaging these hops:

Old 10-03-2011, 11:07 PM   #16
DrBergeron
Recipes 

edecambra,

looking good. I was thinking about growing my own hops but was unsure based upon mixed reviews of southern growing. It looks like It's viable to give it a shot though. What type of watering schedule are you using with them?

Can't wait to hear your impressions on how they taste. I might be interested in doing a rhizome swap once my plants are up and running. Trellis building is probably going to be a winter project now that it's not scorching out.

Old 10-04-2011, 12:53 AM   #17
edecambra
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Hello,

I am not on a watering schedule at all, as you well know we have gotten healthy rain this past summer. I may decide to change this during the dry season (winter/early spring) but as of now they are rocking. I do pour my brewing water on them when I brew, which hasn't been much this summer but other than that, nada.

Also, I didn't mention much about the flavor/aroma above since I just used them for bittering (60 minute boil) but I guess I should say that if I had to be particular, the bitterness is very bright and pronounced, almost tart or lemony. Not from a hop flavor point of view but my strict impression of how the bitterness tastes, if that makes any sense.

Old 10-10-2011, 09:57 PM   #18
GetSudz
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

This thread has shed some light on a few questions I've had and it looks like you've answered them for me.

I'm looking into planting some myself and thinking of alternatives to growing them 20' up. I'm curious to know if a hop plant can be "pruned" back to increase flower production, and give it more of a bonsai look. Basically one small, solid hop "bush".

Indoor growers of the "other plant" have increased production by using this method and since hops is a distance relative I think it might work.

Old 10-10-2011, 10:17 PM   #19
edecambra
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Well, this is the first year I have grown them and I am not sure how mature plants respond to pruning. Mine are definitely bushy, you just have to let them grow back down and wrap around the older growth, which they do very well when left unattended.

You can't see the dimensionality very well from the photos but the left plant (cascade) is sticking about a foot out from the trellis, very bush like. They seem to respond well to pruning. I am going to get the second harvest this week and take all the vines off to see if I can get a more controlled growth out of them, now that the roots are well established and thicker/stronger bine growth and production

Old 10-10-2011, 10:59 PM   #20
GetSudz
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

The hops look great man!
Do you see any down side to overlapping? I'm wondering if the flowers suffer from lack of light...maybe not.
Did you find out the cause of your brown hops?
Do you switch to a "blooming" fertilizer when flowers appear?

Quick Reply