New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Hops Growing > South Florida Hop Growing

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-23-2012, 01:47 PM   #101
whis121surfing
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 3

My Centennial is over 14 feet now. Others are on their way. My Mt. Hood was stalled out for a while and didn't grow more than 4 inches and stayed there for a few weeks then all of a sudden it shot up like crazy. Sometimes they are just working on their root system so they might not be growing taller but what you can't see, the roots, might be going nuts underground. Most important thing for me is just checking the leaves for bad signs then treat it appropriately. i.e. I started having some curling of the leaves and slight burning and brittleness so I gave it some miracle grow so it has quick access to Nitrogen, Potassium and other plant loving nutrients. Fixed it right up. I use Mushroom compost as my main source of nutrients but sometimes a couple shots from the doctor is needed.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-24-2012, 11:24 AM   #102
CourtHouseBrewing
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForerunnerBrewer View Post
Last year I had this happen. They are probably dead. There is good news though! Don't buy a rhizome... Seriously! You can get a half year start by getting a crown from Great Lakes Hops that already has growth on it for almost the same price as a rhizome.
Check it out:
1 of their 33 varieties- http://www.ebay.com/itm/Cascade-Beer-Hops-COMPLETE-CROWN-not-rhizome-/270840716057?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3f0f5d 5b19

It looks like you've done your research and have well drained soil; but check the soil to make sure its not wet, I almost lost a magnum crown that I got from G.L.H. because the roots had too much water. It's in rehab now in my office where it is dry and warm!
I think the Cascade just broke ground after a couple of days of rain, so maybe they are not getting enough water.

Old 04-24-2012, 02:57 PM   #103
whis121surfing
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Here they are on 4-24-2012. They broke ground approx March 5th, give or take a little for the different types.

Old 04-27-2012, 01:49 PM   #104
KeyWestBrewing
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 367 Times on 306 Posts
Likes Given: 473

Kind of but I cant seem to find a solid answer.....Im sure you all have read here that its recommended to only let 2-4 bines grow and to keep cutting the new sprouts. The reason usually given is to promote root growth from the rhizome and to focus the plant on cone production. But what if you planted a hop crown(pretty good size)??? The root structure is surely way bigger than a rhizome but does that still not make a difference on the # of bines I should grow out?

Growing Hops in Key West, FL....

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f92/cascades-key-west-333466/

Primary : Smoked Rye Saison
Primary : BBA Stout
Primary : Soon To Be Filled
On Tap : Edicion Regionales Inglaterra, Apple Pie Cider, Queen Ann's Revenge IPA
Bottled : Bourbon Chocolate Breakfast Stout
On Deck : Atocha Amber, FBS Clone, Red Wheat and Blue, Slob On My Rogg-enbier

*Member: The HBT Sweaty Fat Guys Cigar club

Old 04-27-2012, 02:10 PM   #105
KeyWestBrewing
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 367 Times on 306 Posts
Likes Given: 473

Quote:
Originally Posted by CourtHouseBrewing View Post
I think the Cascade just broke ground after a couple of days of rain, so maybe they are not getting enough water.
I got Cascade going now as well. Until it gets going its going to want a lot of water. Its getting to that point in the year when the heat and humidity start getting brutal so you may have to water anywhere from twice day to every other day depending on how hot it was and how often it rains. Just dont over water, its easier to see when a plant is wilting a little and is thirsty then stressed from too much water. Check out some of the cheap easy ways to make self watering containers or how to turn a water bottle into a drip irrigation system. They let the plant drink when it wants so you dont over or under water and you can just add the plants nutes to the reservoir.

Growing Hops in Key West, FL....

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f92/cascades-key-west-333466/

Primary : Smoked Rye Saison
Primary : BBA Stout
Primary : Soon To Be Filled
On Tap : Edicion Regionales Inglaterra, Apple Pie Cider, Queen Ann's Revenge IPA
Bottled : Bourbon Chocolate Breakfast Stout
On Deck : Atocha Amber, FBS Clone, Red Wheat and Blue, Slob On My Rogg-enbier

*Member: The HBT Sweaty Fat Guys Cigar club

Old 04-27-2012, 04:02 PM   #106
shataway
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by shataway
I am near West Palm Beach. I planted cascades and centennial almost two weeks ago. I planted the rhizomes nearly 4 inches deep. My cascades is like Gallaghers and the centennials are about half that.
My two cascades rhizomes have abot 16 inches of growth each. One of my centennials never came up and the other only made about two inches before stalling. Yesterday came home and found it broken off. O for 2 on centennials. RIP

Old 04-28-2012, 07:29 AM   #107
whis121surfing
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by shataway View Post
My two cascades rhizomes have abot 16 inches of growth each. One of my centennials never came up and the other only made about two inches before stalling. Yesterday came home and found it broken off. O for 2 on centennials. RIP
I doubt it was broken off. I thought the same thing on some of mine but found that it was actually Cutworms and Slugs. Go get some Diatomaceous Earth NOT from a pool center, go to Home Depot and get a bag. Gets rid of snails, slugs , and cutworms. Go out at night with a flashlight at a couple different times and look on the underside of your leaves. Stick a half filled cup of beer with some salt in it by your plants. You will find out if there is a problem with my biggest enemy, snails and slugs. They are out a lot on the really humid nights. Good Luck!

Old 04-28-2012, 08:25 AM   #108
whis121surfing
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Found this on another sight.......
Posted by Laura on Tue, Aug 2, 11 at 0:28
There's an awful lot of misinformation and conflicting info out there on DE, which I'd like to try and help clear up, because I hate to think of folk eating DE with pesticide (yes, some DE has a pesticide bait, such as the bag in the image halfway up the page).
First, there are not two, but three different categories or grades of DE:

(1) Codex or "fossil shell flour," which is the true food grade and is added to animal feeds as an anti-caking agent to to assist if flowability. If you're going to take DE orally -- and I offer no advice on the wisdom of this -- you want to make sure you see the word "Codex" on the label, which tells you it has been tested and meets certain criteria, including thresholds of safety on contaminants such as arsenic and lead.

(2) pool grade, which is high in crystalline silica (the bad stuff), and, as such, works great in pool filters. But it should never, ever be used as a pesticide or in any food applications.

(3) This is the tricky category: DE pesticides, which are variously labeled as "natural" pestides for gardens, pets, grain storage and for various types of insects. This is the type of DE you will likely find in the garden section of your local store, and which will be variously described on the bag labels as "insect killers" or "pesticides," and which will not contain the word "Codex" on the label. These types of DE may (or may not) be coated with pesticides. Perma-Guard, one of the better known brands of both Codex and pesticide DEs, explains it this way on their website: "The addition of Pyrethrins and Piperonyl butoxide is to irritate the bug, causing the bug to become active, allowing the DE to work more quickly." These two pesticide compounds are commonly used in lice shampoos and in sprays & fogs for bedbugs, mosquitoes, garden pests, etc. The only way to know if the DE at your local garden center is "coated" or "baited" is to read the label. And carefully. But even if they aren't coated, they are not Codex and are therefore not considered safe for human consumption.

I hate to think of folk acting on bad advice and then munching down on DE that is either bait-coated or contains higher levels of, say, arsenic and lead. A lot of people assume that, if it's not pool grade, then it must be the Codex food grade. But there is that 3rd category, from which a good bit of confusion and misinformation seems to generate. As with any thing you use -- whether it's for bugs or people -- it's really important to read the label and to understand what you are reading.

Old 04-28-2012, 08:28 AM   #109
whis121surfing
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I got this.

Old 04-30-2012, 11:53 PM   #110
shataway
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by whis121surfing
I got this.
Thanks for the info on the diatomcious earth. I went with some snail slug Getta plus.

Quick Reply