Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Hops Growing > Something is weird with my hops

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-30-2013, 12:46 PM   #11
IVBrewing
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hex23

I should also mention that I also put about 2 gallons of water with a tablespoon of miracle grow on them, so maybe my problem is over-fertilization too. But I definitely noticed the brown on my leaves befer fertilizing and after the frost. I'd be curious to see what other diagnoses there are for this.
What is the nitrogen level in the miracle grow that u use?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-01-2013, 06:30 PM   #12
Hex23
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 42 Times on 42 Posts
Likes Given: 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by IVBrewing View Post

What is the nitrogen level in the miracle grow that u use?
It was general purpose 15-30-15. They're getting pretty big now so I'm going to start watering them more often.

Old 06-02-2013, 12:21 PM   #13
IVBrewing
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Here are some of mine

image-2791087594.jpg  

Old 06-03-2013, 05:33 PM   #14
WesttownBrewWorks
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

you have spider mites...dont worry it happens in every hopyard. I use two types of spray: zeal or Vendex miticide, you can order online. If you turn the leaves over you will see the tiny bumps clusted together. Good Luck

Old 06-08-2013, 02:42 PM   #15
Bearfoot
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 19

I think you may have several issues

1.) Mites / small pests (as suggested)

2.) Possible over-watering. I know this seems counter-intuitive considering how everyone talks about how much water hops need, but when growing in a container the soil retains moisture for a far greater amount of time. Allow your soil to dry out before watering again. I live in Colorado, which is fairly arid, and I water my container hops once every two to three days, as an example.

3.) Drainage...This goes along with # 2 in that you have a very large trash can there and I can imagine your roots becoming waterlogged if the soil isnt loamy enough. Some have suggested mixing gravel in with the soil to increase drainage. I prefer peat moss. The best way to judge your own soil would be to grab a clump of it. You shouldn't be able to form it into a ball and have it keep its shape...the soil should be loose, dry, and healthy. ALSO, I assume you drilled some holes in the bottom of that baby?

4.) Fertilizer. Be careful using Miracle-Gro with your hops. Synthetic ammonium phosphate fertilizers (like Miracle-Gro) can acidify your soil beyond the proper PH range, causing the roots to suffer. I like to recommend this fertilizer. It's light, safe and organic, and when paired with proper soil preparation, only needs 2 to 3 applications over the course of the season.

5.) Your 5th and final issue is that you only have one beer. I like to go through a six-pack when working with my hops.

Quick Reply