Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Hops Growing > Some questions about plant foods

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-28-2009, 09:49 PM   #1
SnaX
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Some questions about plant foods

I was looking at the garden section of the local hardware store, and I see some familiar things I have used in the past. However, I am curious as to whether or not they are ideal for Hops. But a plant is a plant, so I am guessing so.

I want to add into my potting soil, polymers, time release plant food pellets, nutrient retaining mix, rooting hormone, etc.

I've never had an experience where i have overly enriched soil, but I am curious if these things will help with the growth rate.

Last night, I read online that "Auxin" hormone makes a plant grow crazy large.

OR: Should I just keep it simple

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-28-2009, 10:18 PM   #2
JAG410
Recipes 

I think it depends on your soil, climate, etc. For this, I would suggest taking a small sample of your soil and heading to a nursery. They'll be able to suggest what you need. I'm only saying this because it sounds like you're looking for the best possible growth

What I did was use Miracle grow Organic soil, organic blood meal, and organic top soil. Mixed in throughly with native soil. My vegetables are growing well in this mix, so my hops should as well.

But as much as I want to deny it, everyone says spend the first year establishing the roots, and don't try for a harvest. Keep the bines low so they focus their energy on growing roots. I figure I'll see how mine grow and establish a plan from there

Old 03-29-2009, 06:01 PM   #3
The Soft Underbelly
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 19

I planted in a mix of soil, compost, composted manure and sand, i only fertilized one throughout the year, this was maybe late June or early July, i used Miracle Grow Bloom Booster at approx 3/4 of the recommended dilution. i might have gone with one more light feeding of the Bloom Booster later in the season, mid-August perhaps, but was extremely satisfied with my results.

Start with the most nutritious soil you can, i believe i used blood meal as well when transplanting from pots into the garden mix described above and you should only need to fertilize sparingly.

Quick Reply