Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Hops Growing > Soils test results = wtf?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-12-2008, 04:24 PM   #21
ChrisS68
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Thanks for all the info. I can't believe they would sell a soil test that could be so wrong, but I also can't believe that absolutely no Nitrogen is showing up. As far as leaching goes, I don't think I can water them any more than Mother Nature has already. They could really use a break! Actually, we've finally gotten a whole two days in a row without rain, though that's about to change - more rain is forecast for the next few days. Just to be sure, I looked again yesterday, and I still don't think I have an insect problem. I mean, I get the chewed up leaf here and there (more than I care for), but I've seen no evidence of aphids or mites, and aren't mites supposed to be more of a problem in dry climates?
Anyhoo, I'm going to try to find some sort of iron to feed the plants and see how they react, then I'll take it from there.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-13-2008, 10:36 PM   #22
.code.decode.
Recipes 

Default (general comment to hops threads i've seen here)

not trying to downplay your particular issue, it may require action, but whenever i come on here, it seems everyone is so overly concerned about every little insect or little spot they see on a plant.

if you're growing outside, in the wild, these things will happen. it's totally natural. healthy plants that are under attack are usually able to cope with the stress. if you start dittling with them, you're almost as likely to make things worse than better.

i have a 2nd year vine that "has" almost every single one of these phantom symptoms everyone keeps describing.... i just leave it along, the thing is healthy as can be. it produced about 1 oz. of cones in its first year, and is already producing cones now, and is probably 25+ feet tall (in PA). yeah, there is one bine (the first one that grew) that looks like The Cryptkeeper's face, i haven't cut it, or done anything, it's still growing, uglier than sin, but i'm fine with it.

i'm not trying to say stop worrying or having concern, i admit, i've only been gardening for 3-4 years or so, but maybe just leaving the poor plants alone instead of spraying them with soap and other chemicals might be a wiser choice. plus, plants in the wild or plants that are under attack, usually produce stronger qualities than their domesticated brethren (stimulating their immune systems) - which is why i think you always see the tip to trim the lower bines.

not saying i'm right, that's just what works for me.

Old 06-15-2008, 10:02 PM   #23
7Enigma
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by .code.decode. View Post
not trying to downplay your particular issue, it may require action, but whenever i come on here, it seems everyone is so overly concerned about every little insect or little spot they see on a plant.

if you're growing outside, in the wild, these things will happen. it's totally natural. healthy plants that are under attack are usually able to cope with the stress. if you start dittling with them, you're almost as likely to make things worse than better.

i have a 2nd year vine that "has" almost every single one of these phantom symptoms everyone keeps describing.... i just leave it along, the thing is healthy as can be. it produced about 1 oz. of cones in its first year, and is already producing cones now, and is probably 25+ feet tall (in PA). yeah, there is one bine (the first one that grew) that looks like The Cryptkeeper's face, i haven't cut it, or done anything, it's still growing, uglier than sin, but i'm fine with it.

i'm not trying to say stop worrying or having concern, i admit, i've only been gardening for 3-4 years or so, but maybe just leaving the poor plants alone instead of spraying them with soap and other chemicals might be a wiser choice. plus, plants in the wild or plants that are under attack, usually produce stronger qualities than their domesticated brethren (stimulating their immune systems) - which is why i think you always see the tip to trim the lower bines.

not saying i'm right, that's just what works for me.
I think the 80/20 rule definitely works with gardening. That would be 20% the effort for 80% the yield. You can get better health/growth/yield, but you will have to put out a lot more effort, and could end up making something worse.

I think most of these posters (myself included) are concerned because the majority of us are FIRST year growers. We realize the rhizome was put under a tremendous amount of stress and possibly not the best watering/fertilizing conditions and so we are trying to do the best we can this first year to be certain a healthy root system is established. After the first year I think most hop growers take the beer brewing mantra to heart, it's just this first year that you can have a dead stick or a healthy hop yield.

Quick Reply