Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Hops Growing > Soil type and choosing hop variety?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-19-2008, 12:04 AM   #1
Poindexter
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default Soil type and choosing hop variety?

I can't be the only one wondering this. Which hops varieties grow best in which soil types?

We got clay in North Carolina, but I can do raised beds, and I can dig them pretty deep if I have too... I'll BRB with some soil type maps.

Serious reading here: http://soils.ag.uidaho.edu/soilorders/

Besides soil there is climate to consider: http://www.cdc.noaa.gov/USclimate/states.fast.html

Last edited by Poindexter; 02-19-2008 at 12:14 AM.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-19-2008, 02:23 AM   #2
MikeyP
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

You're not alone in wondering this. I'm also in North Carolina, and trying to grow some hops this year. I've done some research but not much. Luckily I'm going to avoid the clay by planting them at my parents place, which is more towards the sandy-soiled coastal plane (I bribed my old man with promises of beer). I'm not sure if this link will work, http://www.americanbrewmaster.com/in...32_141_142_143
but it does list varietals and their preferred climate.

Old 02-19-2008, 02:08 PM   #3
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 133 Times on 126 Posts

The soil requirements are fairly standard.

"A deep well drained, sandy loam soil is best. Soils with a pH of 6 to 7.5 is ideal for hop production. Poorly drained, strongly alkaline or saline soils should be avoided. Fertilizers rich in potassium, phosphate, and nitrogen should be applied each spring. Nitrogen is required at a rate of approximately 150 lbs per acre (3 lbs N/1000 ft2). The nitrogen may be applied in split applications 2 or 3 times between March and mid-July. If manure or compost is applied around the hop plant, fertilizer applications may be reduced accordingly."

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 02-19-2008, 02:15 PM   #4
GilaMinumBeer
In yo' garage, steelin' yo parts.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 4634 Times on 4315 Posts
Likes Given: 57

Hop will grow like weeds if they have adequate sunlight and moisture.

Moisture needs are low until they bloom and fruit. Good draining soil is key so I do suggest a raised bed if you have clay. I have lost 3 plants due to bogging from clay soils. And troubleshooting the results can be mesmerizing as the symptoms appear like nutrient deficiencies (which is what is really happening).

Hops are pretty voracious and durable once established and the majority of your efforts will be expended to keep them in check.

Old 02-19-2008, 04:46 PM   #5
SteveM
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by GilaMinumBeer
Hop will grow like weeds if they have adequate sunlight and moisture.

Hops are pretty voracious and durable once established and the majority of your efforts will be expended to keep them in check.
This is good news since I pretty much have a "brown thumb."

Old 02-19-2008, 07:29 PM   #6
GilaMinumBeer
In yo' garage, steelin' yo parts.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 4634 Times on 4315 Posts
Likes Given: 57

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveM
This is good news since I pretty much have a "brown thumb."
Yeah. The first year for most is touch and go due to the learning process. And I think this is also the main reason why many say the wont grow in region X, which is what I keep hearing here but, I have seen too many healthy mature plants to listen to the naysayers.

Our local college extension agricultural department has a unknown variety 10-12 year old bine that gets minimal care. A mound of compost annually and normal watering. It's outdoors.

I am working on them to get a Rhisome clipping from them but it's in a dedicated, root isolated spot and they don't do any root pruning to it.

Old 02-18-2012, 01:20 PM   #7
mthrt
Recipes 

I've successfully grown and harvested Cascades for the last 4 years and I live in Chapel Hill, NC. First year my yield was only 1 oz. The next it was 7 lbs. The year after half of my crop was taken out in a storm and I still got 5 or so lbs...

I made a three mounds. Put 3 rhizomes in each. I choose the heftiest shoots shoots each year and trim back the rest. I water them once daily and nature does the rest. You can mix a simple soap spray to get rid of pests or pick them off daily.

Good luck!

Old 02-19-2012, 05:02 AM   #8
sweetcell
Swollen Member
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 618 Times on 457 Posts
Likes Given: 239

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poindexter View Post
Which hops varieties grow best in which soil types?
i did a bunch of research on the different hops varieties when chosing what hops to grow. i compiled all my notes here: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f92/hops...-table-297038/

in all my reading i didn't come across any information on varieties preferred soil types. all varieties seem to like the same thing: a loamy, well-drained soil. your best bet will be to add organic matter and possibly sand to break up the clay.

hop varieties do have different tolerances for heat, and i would pick based on that. in the above-linked table, look under the "Climate & Growing Conditions" for indications of heat tolerance or the words "all climates". "Not adapted to southern Idaho (ID)" is code for doesn't do well in heat.

Drinking: a hop-bursted IPA w/ Conan, a farmhouse with ECY08 & brett blend
Fermenting: sour cherry mead
Aging: a bunch of belgian and soured stuff, and acerglyn.
Up next: either an imperial stout or something to use up my homegrown hops... TBD.

Old 02-19-2012, 08:49 PM   #9
Greatlakeshops
Vendor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 

Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 18

We are finding that as long as the roots can penetrate the soil deeply they are quite tolerant of soil types. Alkalinity / pH is a bigger factor - Above pH 6.8 most varieties yields taper off (Sterling seems to buck this ). Kent Golding, Hallertauer, and Saazer are the fussiest about having "wet feet" in heavy soils. The newer types that have been developed from them do better (the breeders seemed to have snuck some American Brewers Gold genes into them and Brewers Gold will grow in a Wisconsin swamp)
None of the hops like having their crowns (those buds right at the soil line) in standing water for any length of time though. So keep those crowns raised a bit.

Last edited by Greatlakeshops; 02-19-2012 at 08:50 PM. Reason: scpellink
OppamaBrendan Likes This 

Quick Reply