Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Hops Growing > So first Year Hop Growers - how'd it turn out ?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-29-2008, 06:50 PM   #1
Mutilated1
Beer Drenched Executioner
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default So first Year Hop Growers - how'd it turn out ?

My Cascades and Centenial grew really tall, but I don't see a single flower or cone anywhere. My Willamettes started out growing like mad, but I think it might have been too hot for them or they didn't get enough water - they look like they're barely alive. My Nuggets never really got very tall at all, they're barely only a foot tall, but they are the only plant that looks lush and healthy and its the only plant that has any cones at all on it. I doubt there is much more than 1/2 an ounce of hops to be had on the plant - but I'm going to make some beer with it anyway.

If you grew hops for the first time this summer - well how did it turn out ?

I'm still crossing my fingers that maybe the Cascades or Centenials will eventually make something this year, but I guess I've given up on the Willamettes - just hoping to keep them alive at this point.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-29-2008, 06:58 PM   #2
GilaMinumBeer
In yo' garage, steelin' yo parts.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 4692 Times on 4348 Posts
Likes Given: 58

I have had a first harvest from Cascade, Brewer Gold, and Zues. Second harvest from these plants is looking goo for the end of August.

Also towards the end of August I am looking to get a harvest from Nugget, Centennial, Crystal, Sterling, and Spalt. At most, I am looking at a couple ounces dried per plant but, for a first year harvest that isn;t bad at all especially when you see how lupulin laden the flowers have been.

Old 07-29-2008, 07:02 PM   #3
Bytor1100
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

I ordered 10 different species. 2 of the were duds and never grew. My nugget, chinook, Willamette, and brewers gold are over 10 feet and have a good number of cone buds on them. I will probably get a good number off these plants. My fuggle is about 8 feet and still growing with no buds. My Kent goldings is still about 8 inches tall and looks to barely be alive. My cascade, sterling are about 3 feet tall, and seem to be doing ok, just not growing quickly and I probably won't see anything out of them this year.

30 Gallons - Malty Moe APA

Old 07-29-2008, 07:03 PM   #4
Laughing_Gnome_Invisible
Recipes 

Liked 510 Times on 393 Posts
Likes Given: 76

I've been growing my first year against a privacy fence training them laterally....Or so it was planned. I have no way of telling how tall they would be now as i've lost track of the main bines. No hops visible yet, but I'm not too bothered. I've already made plans for next year.

This year they were on a SW fence. When they are done this year I will move them to a due south location that I hadn't considered this year, and I will be fertilising the bejesus out of them! They will get an extra 4 hours sun in the new location, and I have learned a lot from this forum this summer, so although I'm dissappointed for this year there is no way I'm giving up on them!

Steven Hawking ~ As we say in science, the England football team couldn’t hit a cow’s arse with a banjo

Old 07-29-2008, 07:50 PM   #5
ChrisS68
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts

It's a little early yet to draw any conclusions, but overall I'm pretty happy.

Hallertauers: though it wasn't yet to the top of the trellis, it was the first to start forming burrs. It has since reached the top (@ 8 feet) and as of yesterday, there were a few burrs that were actually starting to look like hops.

Saaz: I sure hope it's really Saaz! Has grown well from the start. the more mature plant got started on flowering a little later than the Hallertauer, but it has jumped far ahead on quantity. Lots of burrs and some are also forming into cones.

Crystal: I Think it's supposed to be a later bloomer than the Hallertauer or Saaz. This thing is a monster though! Nice solid main bine with lots of long side arms. I have the feeling I'll have to take a machete to this thing in future years, just to keep it in check. Within the past week it too has begun to produce burrs.

Sterling: After much hand-wringing earlier on, I think they're finally doing much better now. One has definitely gotten its legs (roots) and has taken off, growing probably a good 1.5+ feet in the past week. I wonder if the iron-plus nutrient I gave them helped. No cones there yet, but a few side arms. I'm just glad that it looks like they'll make it.

I'm definitely going to need to extend the trellis next year. I figured I'd have to, but I'm surprised how much growth I've gotten the first year. Despite a rocky start due to the weather, both the Saaz and Crystal were at the top of the trellis by July 4th, and just went horizontal after that. Interesting that they seem to be putting out more sidearms where they're running horizontally.

Chris

Old 07-29-2008, 08:13 PM   #6
Philip1993
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Cascade or centennial (I forget which). 8-10ft tall, 20ish cones. Other than being small, it looks and smells nice.

Old 07-29-2008, 08:43 PM   #7
clemson55
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

All 3 of mine Cascade, Fuggles, Mt. Hood are about the same size, they are in containers and trained around tomato cages so exact height I'm not sure, probably about 10-12 feet. I think I may be getting the start of the first few hops right. When I moved around June first they started getting a lot less sun and I think it has stunted them some they are limited to about 4 hrs a day now except on weekends where I can move them around and they get about 7 hrs.

Primary - Empty
Secondary - Empty
Bottle Conditioning - None
Drinking - Peanut Butter Oatmeal Stout, Barleywine, Saison, APA, Strawberry mead
In the Works - Summer Rye for my wedding, May 15, 2010

Old 07-29-2008, 08:54 PM   #8
farmbrewernw
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

My Cascades and Willamette hops grew probably 10-12 feet tall and have quite a few cones forming on them. The fuggles are going about the same with less cones and my Sterlings only grew to maybe 8 feet and don't have comes forming as of yet. Oh my Nugget didn't come up at all but whatever. All in all I would say I'm fairly happy for a first year crop.

I'm working as a pro now, but that doesn't mean I'm not still homebrewing. I'm going to see if I can homebrew at work as a way to develop new recipes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zymurgrafi
wow, tha more I drink, tha more cohernet you all are!
and stufffff.

Old 07-29-2008, 08:56 PM   #9
Laughing_Gnome_Invisible
Recipes 

Liked 510 Times on 393 Posts
Likes Given: 76

Fuggles are supposed to be low yield, so none yet for me is a good start I reckon.

Steven Hawking ~ As we say in science, the England football team couldn’t hit a cow’s arse with a banjo

Old 07-29-2008, 11:39 PM   #10
The Soft Underbelly
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 19

i planted 3 varieties underneath a trellis that was about 7 feet tall all of them grew to the top and are filling out on top. of the three varieties:

Willamette is the weakest, wilt, bugs and too much heat all worked against it. side ams are sprouting but not to the degree of the others. flowers are still in the early stages but it's flowering pretty well. I'll move this to an area with less direct dunlight and see what that does next year.

Cascade, this is the only one i planted more than one rhizome. Both of these fared well even though they were puny twigs. The flowers are only now starting to mature into full grown hops but this looks to be a decent harvest in the making

Chinook, this one seems to be the best suited of the three to the Chicago area summers. It has thrived in the heat. Pests have no interest in it and almost no signs of wilt. it sprouted last but matured the fastest, I'll harvest about 25-30 cones this weekend with perhaps 4 times that many still to grow and it still has fresh growth on the side arms and new flowers still forming.

Huzzah.

One note for future use though, i'll not be planting cucumbers anywhere near it. It has i believe lead to some of the wilt and past problems I've been seeing and god know how much nutrition it's robbing from them. i felt it would be a good use of space, but next year I'll plant something like spinach or celery, maybe even garlic instead. Glad there about done for the year so i can rip em up and let the hops roots spread some more.

All in all I'm very pleased considering the trouble a lot of folks are having. I suppose the thing to consider for next year is proper soil amendments and possibly propagating a cutting or two depending on how they look underground.

Quick Reply