Old 03-03-2009, 03:35 PM   #31
Dloucks
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CentralWABrewing View Post
Right on!
You got a good setup.

Another WOA, I attached a 90 degree elbow to the end of my leaf blower, drilled a small hole in the tip, and inject an aphid spray in the hole. This gets the hops leaves to stand straight up while coating the bottom side of them(where all the dang bugs live). Works wonderful. Got the idea from seeing the sprayers on the fields.

? Since the first year is going to be a minimum yield and primarily for root establishment, how much do you worry about pests like aphids? I'd assume they are just as dangerous if not more so on a younger plant, just curious if the treatment of the "1st year" plants differs?

Up Next - Elephant Rider IPA
Primary - SpaceGrass APA
Primary - Dos Coronary (Two Hearted Clone)
Kegged - Worst Ever Hefe (seriously, it's terrible)
Kegged - Black Umbrella RIS

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-04-2009, 04:42 AM   #32
CentralWABrewing
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Pest control varies with geo. location. The bugs I go up against might be less/more than what you'll have to deal with.
You'll treat 1st year the same as all the other years to follow on your hops.
As you begin to expand, you'll be providing more "condos" to be occupied and your pest control duty begins to go into overtime(last season I had 21 hills with 4-5 rhizomes per hill giving thick growth and room for mites to live). But the overtime pays very well. With a yield last season of 25# dried, I was happy....and have never bought hops for three years
So that's the exciting path you're embarking upon. Enjoy it, it's a blast!

Old 04-10-2009, 01:09 PM   #33
Dloucks
Recipes 

Well a little update. RAIN RAIN RAIN. Since the area I had designated as the hop yard was fully wooded grove of locust trees last year, the ground is still all dirt (and sticks) I've not been able to get on it with equipment to start grading and raking. The result is I have a huge muddy mess.

SOOooo....I've moved my "first row" of hops much closer to the current yard, since it is already graded and free of major debris, I can till it and plant the first row now. This isn't really where I wanted them, though the will now be closer to a watering source, and I'll have about 10X as much room to expand in coming years. Plus I will be able to get equipment out on what was originally supposed to be the "hop yard".

So, the hops will go in the ground this week (weather permitting). Posts will go in this week as well or within the next two weeks at the latest. I'll post pictures once they are in the ground.

Primary - SpaceGrass APA

Old 05-19-2009, 09:21 PM   #34
Dloucks
Recipes 

Default 5-19

5-19 update.

15 out of 16 plants are alive and doing well (one willamette never surfaced) Some of the plants are close to 24" tall.

I've had a hard time getting the equipment up to the house to put the 20' poles in the ground, so for the sake of this year, and in the name of root growth I came up with a temporary solution. I've strung aircraft cable from a tree in the middle of the back yard to a tree at the edge of the yard. it's about 80', so I expect some pretty significant saggage, however it should be enough to promote root growth and I can rearrange things once the poles are set.

The two trees I strung the cable from lined up perfectly over the centennials, which means they are running straight up and down to the cable. The Wills are planted ~10' to the south of the cents so they will have to climb at about a 30 degree angle.

I took a few horrible pictures, (I just ordered a canon 20d but it won't be here till tomorrow, so this is the wifes point and shoot).....

Here are the Centennials before I strung the Wills over to the cable.

Here is a 24" centennials (looks smaller in the picture because you can't see the 8"'s the plant is reaching to get to the twine. The Single Wide IPA in the picture can be used for size perspective, however I was using it for thirst reduction.

Primary - SpaceGrass APA

Quick Reply