Slow Centennial Growth? Pics Inside

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PGEduardo

Reaction score
So I ordered two crowns from Great Lakes, one Centennial and one Cascade. The cascade was a larger crown with more initial bines and seems to be doing okay, although a few brown spots have appeared.

IMG_7575.jpg

However, the Centennial crown has had much slower growth, with some browning/holes but otherwise looks ok?

IMG_7574.jpg

The Centennial is south facing while the Cascade are in a shadier spot sort of open on all sides. I planted each in potting soil, have watered ~ every other day and applied Miracle Grow once. They've been in the ground for a couple of weeks now, and the weather has been fairly cool and dry, with highs averaging ~72F.

Any advice, or does everything look good to ride out and start training?

:drunk:

Looks fine. Centennial soil looks a little dry, maybe hit it with a little more water for the future. They're still trying to establish roots in their new soil. Give them some time. They'll take off like crazy in May and June.

I had actually just put some fresh potting soil on before taking that pic, real soil is a bit most but I have been intentionally not watering too much to encourage root growth...

I made the mistake of watering my new plants a day before a rain here. That was 2 days ago, and the soil is still moist. I need a good hot day to dry things up.

As for training, wait until your bines appear ready to go. They still are holding up under their own weight now so they're fine not being trained. When they start to move laterally under their weight it's a good time to train the 3-4 heartiest bines. I'm trying something new this year with training my bines.

+1 on what halifax said. Every year i have a little pannic because my centennials sprout and start growing later and slower than the rest.

I ordered from the same place and the Centennial plant is very slow and skinny bines. It's only six inches and the others are two or three feet

Oddly enough, the only plant failing to take off like the other two new crowns is my Cascade. She's at about 4 inches now. Zeus and Chinook are going crazy for first year crowns, measuring in at about a foot each, and my 3rd year nugget is out of this world at almost 5 feet (in Illinois). My mother, who wants to grow surrogate for me is taking on my Willamette and Sunbeam, which have literally gone plaid. They both almost have half a dozen 8 foot bines. She's planting them this weekend on an old fence, where they will kill all of the other bushes along it. Heehehee.

I'm looking forward to the grow this summer, which is most of the fun of this part of the hobby. Cultivation of a live plant, harvest, then application in a recipe is truly a rewarding experience.

Back