New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermeneter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Hops Growing > Should I grow hops if I have a dog?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-27-2012, 01:24 AM   #1
mobius1ski
Brewery professional, homebrewing novice
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Default Should I grow hops if I have a dog?

I'm considering planting a "beer garden," with hops and specialty grains for my homebrew. But I recently read that hops can be toxic to dogs. Should I be concerned about this as a dog owner? Are hops on the vine an attractive taste/flavor to dogs?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-27-2012, 01:55 AM   #2
Stauffbier
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 973 Times on 603 Posts
Likes Given: 2617

Hops are deadly to dogs. I put a barrier up so my dog can't get to my hops.

Old 08-27-2012, 02:19 AM   #3
LeSinge
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Oh sure, they may be harmful to dogs, but what dog is gonna jump that high - or tear down the bines - to get to something that's not meat? Give your dog a whiff of a bag of pellets and see just how interesting and potentially tasty they are to it. My dog LOVES beer - but not dry-hopped beer - and is not interested in my hop garden except for the occasional chunk of wood mulch to gnaw on. And as far as the smell of pellet hops, I've given about a dozen dogs the 'whiff-test' and none of them have been interested at all, some bolt away even...
...unless your dog has displayed a weird interest in other vegetables and plants other than the occasional mouthful of grass...(my friend's lab will wipe out the asparagus garden if you're not looking...???wth???)

Old 08-27-2012, 02:31 AM   #4
Hockeyhunter99

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 3

you need to read up on the toxicity of hops and the breed of dog. i am a dog owner and love my dog. so this can be taken with a grain of salt. all of the liturature i have read about the hops toxicity and is with the hyperthermic reaction to dogs is in some breeds, primarily grayhounds. there is little to no liturature (that i have read) about the specific genetics and hops. i have three plants and my dog has wanted nothing to do with them. she will eat almost any other plant (and i did take a small precaution and made a small fence) but she won't touch the cones that have fallen. i have read more info about how dogs will stay away from hops because of how bitter they are. it has something to do with smell.

best of luck with the hops and it has been a fun hobby. but do take care with your dog and your hops.

Beer Renaissance definition - transformation from a heavy beer drinker to drinking heavy beer

Keg - American Pale Ale

Primary - Chocolate Cascadian Dark Ale
Primary - ButterBeer

Old 08-27-2012, 02:36 AM   #5
tchuklobrau
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 2

here look at this beergarden. http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f92/hops-bier-garden-317079/ I have dogs as well. what has cones is above dog range. only the cones are toxic. so use caution while harvesting. However my dog hase never touched any cones that hit the ground and she will eat almost anything. as i have posted in other hops/dog toxic posts, the real danger is in hops that have beed used in brewing as they are sweet with malt/grain goodness. I say make the garden and enjoy.

Old 08-27-2012, 03:02 AM   #6
sweetcell
Swollen Member

Recipes 

Liked 525 Times on 393 Posts
Likes Given: 217

it's the isomerized - i.e. boiled - hops that are deadly to certain breeds. this is akin to peanut allergies in children: fatal when it exists, but extremely rare. what dog owners need to be careful of are hops discarded after the boil - not only are they isomerized but they are also covered in sweet wort. THAT is something the puppies will happily gobble up.

i have a dog who takes great joy in chewing/eating everything under the sun, and she too hasn't shown even the slightest interest in any of my seven hop plants.

go ahead and grow hops.

Drinking: a chocolate oatmeal stout, a belgian imperial stout, a Vertical Epic 09.09.09 clone
Fermenting: a split-batch belgian blond/saison
Aging: an oud bruin, a BDSA/Dubbel thingy, a soured Saison, my "Wild Oats" brett/sour, and some other stuff i can't think of at the moment...
Up next: who knows. maybe providing links to recipes for the above beers.

Old 08-27-2012, 03:42 AM   #7
mobius1ski
Brewery professional, homebrewing novice

Recipes 

Thanks everyone!

Old 08-27-2012, 03:50 AM   #8
AndrewD
Recipes 

Liked 45 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 14

I forget where I read it, but bitterness is an interesting thing. Generally in nature, bitterness signifies toxicity and is a defense mechanism for plants similar to thorns or allergen (poison oak). Most bitter things are bad for animals, so animals tend to stay away from them. It is a rare thing to find bitterness that is not toxic, and it seems like us humans might be the only ones who have sought out edible (to us) bitters.

Old 08-27-2012, 04:38 AM   #9
Crito
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 2

All I heard are Labs and Greyhounds could be sicken or die from eating hops.
Hops are given to horses to calm them.

Hops are also believed (not proven) to kill parasites.

I have two dogs. They are not interested in my hops. They will eat the cantaloupes, carrots, cucumbers, blueberries, and tomatoes.

Old 08-27-2012, 05:04 AM   #10
chumpsteak
Recipes 

Liked 92 Times on 78 Posts
Likes Given: 10

My weiner dog ate a few hop pellets that fell on the garage floor on brew day. He puked up a bunch of green vomit a couple hours later but was otherwise fine. He doesn't eat hops anymore.

Quick Reply