Should I buy these hop plants?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
A guy in the area is moving and he is selling his 3 year old hop plants. He is selling them for $15 or 3 for $40. He has plenty of hop plants to pick from. I am thinking I would do Fuggles, Williamette, and something else. How difficult and expensive is it to build a cheap trellis? Thanks for the help!:D

Sounds fairly reasonable. A trellis is as cheap as running a piece of twine from the ground to anything 15-20' away (preferably more vertical than horizontal, but it works both ways). When I was in an apartment I had my rhizome in a 5 gallon bucket with the bines trained up a piece of twine tied to the top of a 6' piece of bamboo stuck in the ground 15' away.

I think three established plants for $40 is a great price; I would certainly buy three.

As far as a trellis, I truly believe anderj's design is great...

Here is the basic idea: (you can definitely modify anderj's to fit your needs/area) basically buy some chain link fence vertical posts and horizontal posts. Drive the wider piece into the ground, remove and empty dirt, put back into ground. Connect the thinner pieces together for your desired height, and then slide into your pole in the ground.

Back