Originally Posted by Gregscsu
I can't help you with how many shoots to allow to grow, or which ones to cut.
But I can tell that HOPS are TOXIC to DOGS. Don't let your menacing puppy near them, otherwise you might be paying quite the Vet bill.
Love these scare posts. While there is some truth , this is not the nightshade that people are making it out to be.
If you do research on this topic you will find a single reference and plenty of anecdotal additional.
"Malignant hyperthermia-like reaction secondary to ingestion of hops in five dogs", K.L. Duncan, W. Hare, W. Buck, JAVMA, Vol 210, No 1, Jan, 1997. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/8977648
The plant is NOT an issue.... used hops soaked in sweet wort was
Interestingly most of the dogs were Grey Hounds
I have heard of two additional incidents - anecdotal only and the dogs did live after treatment.
Dont just toss the hops into compost or on the ground after brewing.