Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Hops Growing > Second year == whoa

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-02-2010, 10:47 PM   #1
stephelton
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default Second year == whoa

I'm growing my Cascade hops (in a large pot) in the second year. Last year, it was about the middle of may or so (IIRC) that I started seeing enough growth to start training my first bine.

It is now year two, and the beginning of April. This plant is going nuts. The first shoot is now about 18" tall has wrapped about 2.5 revolutions around its rope.

There are 14 other shoots that I can count as well. Last year, I let two have their way, and X'ed the others. I think my pot is about 7.5 gallon. How many of these shoots should I allow to thrive? Should I cut the main one that is doing so well?

And while I'm on the subject, will my 7 month old puppy be hurt if he eats some of the leaves of this plant while I'm not paying attention?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-02-2010, 10:52 PM   #2
Gregscsu
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts

I can't help you with how many shoots to allow to grow, or which ones to cut.

But I can tell that HOPS are TOXIC to DOGS. Don't let your menacing puppy near them, otherwise you might be paying quite the Vet bill.

Old 04-02-2010, 11:57 PM   #3
stephelton
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregscsu View Post
I can't help you with how many shoots to allow to grow, or which ones to cut.

But I can tell that HOPS are TOXIC to DOGS. Don't let your menacing puppy near them, otherwise you might be paying quite the Vet bill.
Hah, I was afraid I might quickly turn this thread into a HOPS + DOGS rant.

I've made quite an effort so far to keep him away, and have even tried to do the opposite so that I can clearly demonstrate that I do not want him near the plant.

I will probably put some chickenwire or similar up to help keep him away.

Thanks!

Old 04-03-2010, 12:02 AM   #4
stephelton
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 4 Posts

...And at the risk of further derailing my post, what are the symptoms (if any) that a dog poisened by a hop plant exhibit?

Old 04-03-2010, 12:58 AM   #5
HairyDogBrewing
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Hops can cause malignant hyperthermia in dogs: the body temperature rises uncontrollably.
The dog will pant a lot and may die without treatment.
It seems to be more of an allergic-type reaction than a toxic effect.

The cases I've read about involved either kettle trub or hop pellets.
I haven't heard of any dogs damaged by drinking beer or by eating the leaves or bines.
I think whole hops or plugs would be the same as pellets.

Keep an eye on your dog when he's near the plant and tell him sternly to 'leave it'.

Old 04-03-2010, 02:32 AM   #6
stephelton
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 4 Posts

Thanks for the input. I'll be sure to keep my dog away from the plant as best I can.

Old 04-03-2010, 03:29 AM   #7
Retrofit
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 5

One of my dogs dug up the rhizome I planted earlier this week and was walking around with it in her mouth like it was her new favorite stick. No hops on it so I pulled it from her mouth and scolded her. This is a first, my dogs have never shown interest in them before. It's still better be to safe than sorry, so I'll be building some kind of deer/dog fence containment thing.

Old 04-03-2010, 01:35 PM   #8
frazier
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 92 Times on 83 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephelton View Post
...And at the risk of further derailing my post, what are the symptoms (if any) that a dog poisened by a hop plant exhibit?
They will try to add yeast to their water dish; they tend to open bottles with their teeth; they develop a preference for Bone Ruination and Pliny the Retriever; their "aim" at the hydrant becomes poor. There is no known cure.

~
"Anything worth doing, is worth doing slowly." ~~ Mae West

Old 04-03-2010, 05:15 PM   #9
Shaggyt
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by frazier View Post
They will try to add yeast to their water dish; they tend to open bottles with their teeth; they develop a preference for Bone Ruination and Pliny the Retriever; their "aim" at the hydrant becomes poor. There is no known cure.
LMFAO!!! Brilliant

Old 04-03-2010, 07:30 PM   #10
kjung
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephelton View Post
I'm growing my Cascade hops (in a large pot) in the second year. Last year, it was about the middle of may or so (IIRC) that I started seeing enough growth to start training my first bine.

It is now year two, and the beginning of April. This plant is going nuts. The first shoot is now about 18" tall has wrapped about 2.5 revolutions around its rope.

There are 14 other shoots that I can count as well. Last year, I let two have their way, and X'ed the others. I think my pot is about 7.5 gallon. How many of these shoots should I allow to thrive? Should I cut the main one that is doing so well?

And while I'm on the subject, will my 7 month old puppy be hurt if he eats some of the leaves of this plant while I'm not paying attention?

There was an article in BYO last year about growing hops in containers, and the author recommended using at least a 20" pot, with no more that three bines per pot.
I kept mine to two bines last year, and am allowing three this year. My shoots at 6"-8" already, before today's rain...and now sun.

Be careful what you wish for, friend, 'cause I've been to Hell, and now I'm back again- Steve Earle

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.-
Albert Einstein

"Heroism on command, senseless violence, and all the loathsome nonsense that goes by the name of patriotism -- how passionately I hate them!"- Einstein, again

Quick Reply