Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Hops Growing > Is the season officially a bust?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-04-2012, 03:56 PM   #21
hoops_hops
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

My first year cascade rhizomes are just about ready. Planted six late late in the season and only 2 produced cones, which is more than I expected first year. Only grew to about 10 ft. I think I would have had a better yield on a few on the others but I had a spider might problem that I let go way to long. Btw I am in the central valley of California, lots of heat, very dry.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-06-2012, 12:52 AM   #22
Devils_Chariot
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

This years haul:

8 0z cyrstal from 1st year - holy crap that thing puts out. Harvested 3 weeks ago, it its grown a smaller second crop with huge cones. Weird.

Centieniel, 2nd year, never grew over a foot tall

Northern Brewer, nver grew more than 5 inches tall

Glacier 8 oz from 2nd year plant, lots of small cones

Cascade, late planting 1st year just now has small cones

"Climax" 2 first year plants, lots of growth, 10' tall or so, no cones. Grasshoppers prefer these plants to all else.

All of these are planted in 20 gallon planters with miracle grow and mulch with automated watering setup.

The difference in output its very surprising, if not a bit frustrating.

Old 09-07-2012, 04:53 PM   #23
logdrum
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 42 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 31

3, 5 gallon buckets from 1 Cascade. Thought it was going to go south, but the vines rallied at the end!

Old 09-07-2012, 05:10 PM   #24
RumRiverBrewer
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 5

logdrum - that's impressive! I'd like to see a pic of that Cascade plant, nice producer! My Cascade is in 3rd year and will be harvested this weekend. It looks real good, I got 18 oz out of it (dried) last season.. My 2 third year Centennials only produced 8.5 oz dried this season

Old 09-07-2012, 10:26 PM   #25
logdrum
Recipes 

Liked 42 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 31

There you go

image-2898075506.jpg

image-1708912762.jpg

image-2090603877.jpg

The first one shows the plant before harvest, I went up about 10' then over on 3 ropes about 16'

Old 09-08-2012, 05:24 AM   #26
Retrofit
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 15 Posts

When I found out my wife was pregnant I decided it was a 'no garden' year so I could get the house ready. I set up my trellis so my hops had something to grow on, but I did no watering. With the drought, I'm glad I didn't because I would have wasted a lot of water and time. Having said that, my Chinook continues to be my Queen Hop, producing a full yield despite never being watered this year. I have a modest harvest from my Pride of Ringwood, which makes sense given it's an Australian hop. The rest of hops either didn't break ground or only got a few feet off the ground. Less work for me.

I might mix the Chinook and PoR into one pile and call 2012's harvest a one shot hop. Next year will be better, right?

Old 09-10-2012, 02:24 PM   #27
RumRiverBrewer
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Looks great!

Old 09-10-2012, 03:39 PM   #28
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 2450 Times on 1726 Posts
Likes Given: 1404

My 4th year plants (or is it 5ht year??) didn't look healthy, but gave up a lot of flowers. I had a few that started turning brown due to me having to be away at prime harvest time, but all in all they still turned out pretty good. I have 3 "hills" and raised 6 ropes total from them. I got about 2 tall kitchen trash cans full of Cascade. I did not take a wet weight measurement, and am still vacuum sealing them. WAY more than I'll use in a year. I still have almost all from last year!

Even got a few Chinook from a first years plant even though I didn't run string up! They found a step ladder I left behind the garage and those flowers are HUGE compared to the Cascade!

Old 09-10-2012, 08:23 PM   #29
jmich24
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homercidal View Post
My 4th year plants (or is it 5ht year??) didn't look healthy, but gave up a lot of flowers. I had a few that started turning brown due to me having to be away at prime harvest time, but all in all they still turned out pretty good. I have 3 "hills" and raised 6 ropes total from them. I got about 2 tall kitchen trash cans full of Cascade. I did not take a wet weight measurement, and am still vacuum sealing them. WAY more than I'll use in a year. I still have almost all from last year!

Even got a few Chinook from a first years plant even though I didn't run string up! They found a step ladder I left behind the garage and those flowers are HUGE compared to the Cascade!
Nice problem to have, get brewing!

P.S Feel free to send some my way!!

Kegged: Galaxy IPA, Belgian Dubbel and Cherry Funk (Flanders Red + 10 lbs cherries)

Primary: Ned Flanders Red, RR Consecration on 2nd Gen Roeselare, Soured BDSA, Brett B ESB, Brett Trios Oatmeal Stout runnings.

Next: Oro de Calabaza Clone, Backwoods Bastard Clone, House IPA, House APA, German Hefe.

Old 09-10-2012, 09:20 PM   #30
Randar
Damn right I got da brews
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 4646 Times on 4548 Posts
Likes Given: 2275

I had pretty decent harvests from Cascade, Chinook, Magnum, Newport, and CTZ. My Centennial, Nugget, Goldings and Fuggles didn't do squat, though. We had a very light late frost about 2 days after I had trimmed back a lot of the first growth/shoots, and it set some of the crowns back just enough that they didn't recover.

I watered a LOT this year (more than any year since I've been in my current home - 7 years). My last water bill was good proof of that.

Get rich or get sandy trying...-AZ_IPA

Randar, send me some of your hot fluids, so that I can put them in my mouth.-TowsonTiger22

I feel like I may need to take a stroll around gen pop and say hi to my subjects.-Ace_Club

Quick Reply