Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Hops Growing > Is the season officially a bust?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-31-2012, 04:06 AM   #1
sarsnik
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Is the season officially a bust?

I've got two cascade plants that are growing for their third season. I was expecting to finally have a good yield - the plants grew 15 feet high and seemed reasonably robust this year.

Disappointingly, they haven't bore any cones. Should I abandon all hope at this point and consider the season 'fruitless'?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-31-2012, 07:36 AM   #2
marms
Recipes 

I had a bad harvest on all of mine except northern brewer. Michigan weather wasn't too kind this year

Old 08-31-2012, 07:52 AM   #3
cfonnes
Recipes 

Liked 60 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I gave up on my hallertau, but had a great year with my columbus.

Old 08-31-2012, 12:01 PM   #4
mrkrausen
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 24

I can't speak for everyone, but it seems like the season here is still going. I have two first year plants and my cascade had a good year but I thought my nugget wasn't going to do anything. It had burrs for a good month with no cones forming. It just within the last 2 weeks has formed cones and they are starting to mature. My cascade is now forming new burrs so I may get another harvest from them before they die back. I'm not sure what varieties you're growing or how your weather had been but I wouldn't give up on them just yet.

I'm in over my head...fortunately that's right where I like to be.

Old 08-31-2012, 01:10 PM   #5
BrewerinBR
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 121 Times on 91 Posts
Likes Given: 42

I got a lot of cascade and a lot centennial the Columbus was a total bust and a few northern brewer. All first year plants.

I seek not a hobby to fill my time; I seek a passion to fill my life!

Basement Brew Room Build:
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/base...-house-247971/

"Shame on the man of cultivated taste who permits refinement to develop into fastidiousness that unfits him for doing the rough work of a workaday world." -Theodore Roosevelt

Old 08-31-2012, 09:32 PM   #6
macachoin
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

This is my first year getting any cones as last year, the deer eat my plants. So I have a couple dozen cones already in MD, will I get more? How do I know when to start harvesting? I'm growing Newport hops if that matters. TIA

Old 08-31-2012, 10:52 PM   #7
pelipen
Recipes 

Liked 58 Times on 42 Posts

I'm also in PA, I wouldn't say a bust, but it's my first year. I just stripped the Centennial and got 10 wet ounces. The Fuggles will probably yield 6 wet, but I'm leaving for a week and I'm not sure what will be left when I get back. Took the most dry 3 ounces off so I have something at least. These are the first year whole crown. Now, my hot peppers and tomatoes on the other hand were very disappointing. This was a bad growing year all around.

Old 08-31-2012, 11:08 PM   #8
Face Eater
I brew beer....
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 8 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 1

First year plants for me in Illinois. Cascade, Columbus, and chinook. All of them did pretty decent and may get a second harvest off them. A few ounces of dried hops from each plant so far.

Old 08-31-2012, 11:24 PM   #9
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 135 Times on 128 Posts

I've got five 7th year plants and 3 6th year plants. No hops from any of them this year, not even the Cascade.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 09-01-2012, 04:13 AM   #10
B-Hoppy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 133 Times on 106 Posts
Likes Given: 239

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarsnik View Post
I've got two cascade plants that are growing for their third season. I was expecting to finally have a good yield - the plants grew 15 feet high and seemed reasonably robust this year.

Disappointingly, they haven't bore any cones. Should I abandon all hope at this point and consider the season 'fruitless'?
Being that it's September 1, I would agree with your fruitless sentiment. Even if you have burrs at this point they won't mature properly this late in the season. I'm wondering what your growing situation is like? If they actually are Cascades, even if grown in buckets, they should have put something out by now. Did you get them from a reputable supplier? The 15 foot thing is what has me questioning whether or not they're Cascades and not some strange variety that someone just wanted to make a buck off of. Even if they were a rogue variety I would figure that a 3 year old plant that grew that much would show some signs of a harvest. I just noticed, Friday night after work at the beginning of a 3-day weekend and I'm thinking? Sorry, gotta switch modes and enjoy the evening. Keep us updated.

Quick Reply